1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T.. Shell holders on shooting vests

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I don't need them. I never get a broken target or a misfire.

HM

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Fred, the loops, or pockets, whether they're on vests, pouches, shell holders, etc., are two hold two extra shells, just in case. There is always the possibility of a shell misfiring, whether a factory load or a reload, or a broken bird, and you don't want to inconvenience your shooting squad by having to go back to a bench, or the clubhouse to get a spare shell.

In a round of skeet, your box of shells is sufficient to shoot a complete round, as is a round of trap singles, or handicap.

To me the shell pockets at the breast line are just a hassle. I keep a couple in the shell pouch, and maybe two more in my jacket or vest pocket.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Dennis

PS - Thanks for your service. From a grateful squid.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Fred- The "2 special rounds for station 8" were either spreader loads (probably a regular shell with no petals in the wad which allows the shot to spread out a little further with the same load), or they contained shot smaller than #9, to get a more dramatic effect when hitting the close range targets. Shot smaller than #9 is illegal in registered skeet, and no serious skeet shooter would ever bother with spreader shells on station 8, they'd use the same the whole way around.

The spare pair of shells that are provided for on a vest or other accessory probably came about as that was a convenient number to have, one not being enough, and if you needed more than 2, you'd have someone fix the machines. I know when I shoot, I usually have at least 5, sometimes 10 spares in my back so i'm guaranteed I NEVER can run out.

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

skeet_man is ALMOST correct. When factory skeet shells contained spreader loads there were no wads with petals or shot wrap so various mechanical means were used to make them spread. post in center, crossed wads so that it formed an X when looking down from above with shot in all the open spaces, shot wad shot wad shot wad shot wad layering. Because Skeet was shot with normal chokes in the beginning factory spreader shells were developed for station 8. They were packed in the factory box of shells usually top row center and marked "SPREADER" you then took these two shells and kept them seperate so that they could be used at station 8. This was what the 2 loops were designed for. Now there are no longer any factory spreader loads included in a box of skeet loads so we carry spares in case of malfunction,bad bird etc.
    --- Chip King ---

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Guys....your reasons for the extra loops are way, way off base. Please review the best selling book "Extra Loops..Fact and Fiction" by I.P. Freely. It clearly states that the reason for the loops is for easy access to the cigars that should be in the loops. Any other use for those loops is totally uncivilized !!!!.......Uncle Sam, Pa.

6. nicky

nicky Member

Earl behave yourself and leave Fred alone, go back to my thread on the Skeet issue. See ya there.....

Kevin

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ah yes...........cigars. I have a clip that holds the cigar on my pouch while shooting so I don't have to have my pal hold a soggy one. I guess the loops could hold extras for a 100 target event.

came from a golf bag somewhere.

HM

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Chip King- Thanks for the additional information. I didn't realize that regular boxes of skeet loads came w/ 2 spreaders. I've only ever seen old boxes of skeet loads, and old boxes of spreaders, never spreaders mixed in w/ the skeet loads for a specific reason like that.

9. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

You mean you guys don't have gun and cigar bearers to handle these types of things? How uncivilized can one be?

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.