1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Sham Wow Worth the $$'s??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fssberson, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

There is a "Rip Off Report" link that claims that the Sham Wow towels as seen on TV really does not work and to not buy. Anybody have any experience with this product? Fred

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well, frankly, their spokesdude "Vince" just makes me laugh out loud every time I see that dumb a$$ advertisement.

I'm not buying them simply because Vince is a dork.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I agree with you timb99. Vince reminds me of a siding salesman from the early sixties. Mike

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

There's some real camera trickery going on during that commercial. The soda flowing out under the rug magically disappears when it's time to mop it up. Cam scam supreme. Hap

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

The Billy Mays screamer is possibly the most obnoxious pitch man on tv. Best Regards, Ed

6. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Brother in law bought them - they do not work.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have two that look just like them but I got them from California Car co and they are really awesome

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Thanks Scott. The pitch men are definitely right out of the county fair. Fun to watch. Years ago I bought a set of knives from a TV commercial and I am still using them. I have Henckles, but prefer the cheaper TV knives. Well I think I will save my money. Fred

9. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Sham - Wow I think the name says it all . Wow I just got Shammed

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Also add to the rip-off list the "Debbie Allen Green Bags" They don't seem to be worth much. The Queen bought a box of green bags and when I brought home some strawberries last month she put her half in the "green" bag and I put mine in a ziplock. Her strawberrries were really "green" with mold after about 5 days, mine were soft, but still edible. Do not waste your money.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You guys should try to get out more.

Neil

12. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I recieved my shipment via UPS while I was at work. He left them on the back porch. When I got home my pool was dry.

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

It's all about the lure of the infomercial. As P.T. Barnum observed, there is a sucker born every minute.

I obtained a DVD called Gadgetmania, produced by the Discovery Channel, for use in a marketing class. Gadgetmania is the history of the infomercial and it is narrated by Ed McMahon. I have watched this DVD many times and still marvel at how well the "Boardwalk Pitch" works.

Ed put himself through college working as a pitchman selling vegetable slicers on the Atlantic City Boardwalk. The “Boardwalk Pitch” was developed there before WW II and it is the heart and soul of all of today’s infomercials.

In essence, the “Boardwalk Pitch” works as follows:

Attract a crowd.

Demonstrate the product.

Count down the price (It’s not $100, no not even $70, etc.)

Add on the freebies until the customer can’t resist (But Wait, There’s More!)

Haul the money to the bank..

You would not believe the amount of money that has been made on Veg-O-Matics, Chop-O-Matics, Ginsu Knives, Thigh Masters, Mood Rings, Hair in a Can, Mr. Microphone, the Hand Hammered Wok of China, Popeil’s Pocket Fisherman, K-Tel Records and the Showtime Rotisserie (set it and forget it). The profits run into the tens and hundreds of millions.

Off hours television, credit cards, 1-800 numbers and the Internet makes all this possible.

Most of the products, especially the Ronco products, were well engineered. Many of them, like the Ginsu knives and Thigh Master, were existing products that did not sell well until featured in a pitch.

However, many of these products were dogs and fads.

Once you understand how the “Boardwalk Pitch” works, you can see through any pitch.

Ed Ward

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

P.T. Barnum: "You can fool all of the people some of the time, and you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the trap shooters all of the time." Or something like that... we trap shooters just love every gadget that will promise us just one more target. Fred

15. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yep I'll admit the fact that I ordered the $19.95 Shamwows! I am a sucker for a good pitch and it is a good one.

I use mine on the fishing boat for a clean up cloth and one one in the trunk of my car to wipe down the car after the "quarter" (more like 10 quarters) car wash. Now its not as good as a $20 chamois from the auto parts store but it does an acceptable job except the windows are not as good as the real chamois.

I've washed the one in the car once and it survived ok. I don't think you can expect to wash it 100 times but a few washings should not hurt it.

My wife, who would never buy one, likes it for wiping down the shower. I plan on putting one in the motorhome to do the same. Y'all can come over during the grand and I'll demonstrate like the guy on TV!!

Was it worth $20? I guess so...lot of fun nevertheless! Niel is right ... I need to get out more.

Bob Schultz

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

OK ...you mean that my portable lets go fish rod is not going to work...hey, I SAW it catch a shark! now I'm really mad!

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Hey, guys that own $ 15,000 single barrel trap guns aren't gullible enough to fall for that $20 towel crap.

18. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Buy or produce the product for pennies. Misrepresent it, sell it for DOLLARS. Ninety five per cent of those who buy it will shrug it off and NEVER ask for a refund. So You refund money to a small percentage. You have still made a LOT of money.

NOT quite the same deal here but remember the HERTERS catalogs that we all got in the fifties and early sixties??? I forget his catch phrase...World Class or Worlds Finest??? Half of it (made in Japan) was nearly junk.....but other items were a bargain. I'd bet whoever was behind Herters made some buck$.

FN in MT

19. hairy

hairy TS Member

Actually FN, you can produce the product for pennies, GIVE it away...but charge them $6.95 shipping and handling and you'll make a ton of money. The jackass on tv who GIVES away the computor learning CD's is making a ton.
    Ready to ship CD $.30
    shipping .70

His cost $1, takes in $6.95.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

But I saw them work on TV. How can something seen on television be untrue?

Pat Ireland

PS
    flincher- I have ported barrels and long forcing cones. My PW press with the hydraulic attachment costs over $1000. Please, if you come to any conclusions, post them in a gentle way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.