1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Selling Platinum ring?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve Campbell, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell TS Member

Since the price of gold has shot up, I was thinking of selling a platinum mens band that I have no use for.

What can I expect to get per ounce if sold to a jeweler to be melted and reused by the jeweler? Basically I what to sell the ring to be sold and scrapped.

What percentage waste is there, say per ounce?

Thanks for the help.

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Scrap dealers or jewelry buyers will weigh it and offer you a price. Price per dwt (pennyweight).

Platnum was more than gold a short time ago. Platnum used to be and still may be alloyed with Iridium for toughness. Iridium is also a precious metal.

Standard & Poor usually gives the prices in your local paper.

I sold some platnum years ago and got about the same as 18K was bringing.

If you have just one item to sell you might want to wait a little longer just to see what happens.

Just my opinion. Regards Gerald

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Platinum is selling at $2073 as of yesterday 3-15-08. Mike

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

If it helps you can make a lot of gold bands from an ounce.

5. cat house

cat house TS Member

when I sell platinum to my refiner in oregon,they use,plat. spot X.679 divided by 20 to give the pennyweight price example3-14-08 plat. $2,067.x.679=$1,403.49.divid by 20=$70.17 per dwt. 10 dwt. ring would bring $701.17 prices will be lower thur any middleman,dealer,jeweler pawn. formula for other metals,10k .352,14k .501, 18k .651,sterling .760,dental .5703.been doing this in my own shop since 1997 hopes this helps a.d.johnson

6. cat house

cat house TS Member

prices were based on garfield refining website (info@garfieldrefining.com).they use london pm fixed prices. others may vary from these prices . a.d. johnson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.