1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Selling a gun ethics.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by miss alot, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miss alot

miss alot TS Member

I sold a gun to my wifes brother under the condition that if he ever wanted to sell it i wanted it back at the price i sold it to him for. I was a little upset because he traded it in on new gun and less trade-in than what i sold it him for. I really didn't want to sell it in the first place. My wife say's to let it go, you was not going shoot it any how. Was i out of line to be upset?

Thanks for your input.

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

No! A deal is a deal. Jake

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

A deal is a deal, but where does that get you? Let it go. Refrain from selling guns with strings attached to family members.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I would be upset too, you sold it with "conditions" that were agreeable to both parties. He did not keep his end of the deal. I would be maddern an ole wet hen.

Gne J

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Business rule #1 dont do business with relatives. It usually ends up with hurt feelings, and not worth the hassel.

Bob

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Do you call him "My wife's brother" or "My Brother in law"? You can call him that you know. But, all that legal mumbo-jumbo aside, a deal is a deal and if he's smaller than you, then maybe you need to kick his a$$.

7. John 53

John 53 Member

Tron,

Are you saying, "HOW BIG A BOY ARE YOU?"

8. Tron

Pretty much. I mean, this guys deed goes way beyond the usual wet willy, grundy or wedgy. He needs to learn a lesson.

9. miss alot

miss alot TS Member

He's my wifes brother, i taught this little pick to hunt, fish and etc. He's 21 years my junior. I so pissed because this was a nice gun and worth 150% what he paid me in todays market. I thought i was doing him a favor beacause he's family, my bad.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had almost the same thing happen. My aunt agreed to sell me the deceased uncle's pre-64 Model 70, so I saved up the cash. When I went to pick it up she head given it to her grandson.

Lesson learned: I should have borrowed the money and took the gun.

So you can't expect relatives to live up to their word, don't even try.

Don't ask me about the help I was supposed to get with shingling the roof.

I guess I would just not be real friendly with the asshole.

HM

11. Tron

OK, he's your Wife's brother. I just asked my Sister's Son (I call him my "Nephew", but that's just a pet name) and the little twirp muttered something about "if the gun was his, he can do whatever he wants". This must be an ethics of generation barrier of some sort.

12. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Being that it was a family member, miss alot probably sold him the gun at less than fair market value, hence the reason miss alot wanted it back if it were to ever be sold. Been there, done that, got mad as hell. This was a cheap life lesson, hopefully miss alot will get over it soon and laugh about it later.

13. trap906

trap906 Member

the younger generation have not been taught ethics, and they have no loyalty to anyone not even family. this is why we have so many problems with folks trying to keep a job, or people stealing identies and other things. you simply can't trust most people under 30...

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Reminds me of the time years ago an aunt of mine had an in on Sony TV's, which were kinda "newfangled" and fair traded back then. Another aunt, her sister, bought a Sony from first aunt. She had a break in, and Sony was stolen. Aunt with the in on Sony's replaced the stolen one with her used one and took insurance money and bought a new one!!!

I believe they were both in their mid-60's when this happened. The older folks can also pull s**t. Maybe it was "old age and treachery"...

Flash forward: Aunt who had the in on Sony's: Now at age 98, still drives her Mustang without driver's license or insurance. Ethics? What are those. Of course she goes to church like clockwork; must be something in it for her, some kinda deal she thinks only works in her favor.

15. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Whether the gun is being sold to a relative or someone else, once the sale is completed "conditions of sale" become subjective. While we expect "family" to deal with us fairly, an old phrase comes to mind: 'no one can screw you over like a friend or relative, anyone with sense is guarded around strangers'.

Fair doesn't enter in after the fact. I would suggest the new element is trust, I would have it hard to trust someone who treated me in this fashion.

16. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Don't buy, nor sell anything with strings attached.

17. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

I'm with tron on this one,,,I'd have to slap his silly a@@,,,

18. biff

biff Active Member

It wasn't the value of the gun! It was a value in trust which was broken, when that happens it is something which can never be replaced. Too bad it was for a gun you didn't want to let go of in the first place and how badly he wanted you to sell it to him. He had no respect for you or what you think or say. Take this as a lesson......as now you know what type of person he is and be cautious in any future dealings with him. I have had similar lessons in the past and they are something you never forget. Biff

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

He got less than you paid for it when he traded. So just go buy your gun back and let him wallow in his own stuff when he hears about it.

20. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

Well I think what he did was wrong BUT what would you have done if the gun was beat to crap and he still wanted the original price he paid you? Would you of just said OK and paid him? Did you see the gun before he traded it in? He may have did you a favor! He still should have given you first crack at it, that was the deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.