1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

o/t Scope suggestions .243

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I bought the Shilen DGA .243 rifle I asked about here. Going back the second time today the gun is a custom made sport model. 22" barrel. Weighs just over 8 lbs. Box magazine which probably holds three or four that does not extend through the bottom of the exhibition grade feather crotch claro, very straight front grain, right handed, cheek piece stock with an oil finish. It has a deep even blue non-glare overall finish. It appears to have never been mounted with a scope and was built without iron sights. I suspect it was never fired by the original owner. The receiver is built with of scope mounts incorporated. I negotiated to 800 bucks.

So my understanding is this is supposed to be a real tackdriver. I don't know much about centerfire rifles but this is a good one. So what scope? What power? I have heard folks say just get a Leupold and you are going to do fine. But, I want a scope that will complement the rifle. Help?

Regards, Jake

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

leopold VX 1II 4.5 x 14. 30mm tube 50mm bell. this will handle targets,deer or varmints.

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

With a gun like that, please don't skimp on the optics.

Also, don't be fooled by the lower-end leupolds, Nikons, etc. (Rifleman series is the leupold I believe).

The optics should be suited to what you want to do. If it's going to be a 99% target gun, go higher power (32 or 36).

I was very happy with my Busnell Elite 4200 (8-32x44)

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

na

that 22 inch barrel limits it, as far as range-- you dont want to over play the scope

You should try the more expensive simmons -AETEC or one of the Nikons or less expensive Leopold

Dont go above 10 power- you dont need it

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

You can't go too far wrong with any of the Leupold VX III. The power is more dependent upon what you are shooting (elk or gophers?) It's not a crime to put a cheaper scope on it to try it for a while but don't expect to get your money back out of a cheap scope (consider it throw-away).

You got a really great rifle at a pretty good price. Enjoy it and have fun.

jim brown

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

jakearoo - I don't know what you want to use the gun for. hunting is a different game than targets (paper or metallic). Optics have come far but it would help you decide what scope to get if you told us what you want the gun to do. If you want the gun to do multiple things, perhaps you should get more than one scope.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

smsnyder has it spot on! That scope he descibed has very good clarity and excells in low light conditions.

The rule of thumb for a good .243 is that if you can see it with the naked eye, you can hit it. I have seen some very good shooters with .243's hit groundhogs at 350yds with one shot. I've also witnessed a antelope that was droped at 500yds with a .243. A 14X scope is all that's needed!

BTW, don't worry about the naysayes and the 22" barrel. Plenty of barrel for longer shots. Just keep in mind, field profile barrels and prarie doggin' don't go hand in hand unless you have another gun to shoot while it is cooling down!

ec90t

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

It depends upon what your target is. For shooting ground squirrels at 300 yards, prone, off a bipod, my .243 is equipped with the classic Leupold 6.5x20 vari x 3. Don't run a lens hood if you can avoid it; takes away the light coming into the scope. You will do fine. I use the 6.5 x 20 Leupold vari x 3 for all four of my varmint guns. I used some kind of heavier V-Max bullets for vamints and the Sako grouped at about 3/4 inch consistently.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What are you hunting, and in what kind of terrain or foliage?

For example, if you're shooting coyotes in woods conditions or tall cover like large sage or scrub brush, you need to get on them in a hurry. A scope with a high magnification at its low setting will be detrimental to this. For example, a scope like a 6.5-20x or a fixed 12x would be out a place. A scope with a low end like a 2x (2-7x) or 3x (3-9x) would be more suitable. If, and only if, you are not doing close range, fast shooting, then up the low end power.

As for scopes, at least a Leupold Vari-X II and preferably a Vari-X III.
    Since the gun is custom, you might consider having the Leupold custom shop make one to order, with laser engraving or a custom finish. If you put a temporary scope on it, and find a load you like, get it chronographed, then let Leupold know the particulars and they'll make a custom reticle with the bullet drop on the crosshairs. That would really complement the gun.

10. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

You did good Jake. I replied to your first thread before I noticed this one.

You bought a custom gun built around a custom receiver, for the price of a mass produced gun. Put some decent glass on it.

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Thanks for all the help. This board has some deep knowledge.

Decisions, decisions. As for my intended use that is still a bit unknown. I am not much for shooting holes in paper. I expect to play with it at the range until it is really dialed in. I expect I will shoot some pigs with it, probably deer and antelope. Maybe some pesky varmints. I expect to do some shooting standing from the shoulder and realize that most of that will be done at reasonable ranges. It would be nice to "reach out and touch someone" with it on occasion. Please keep the suggestions coming.

I am also wondering about scope diameter. As sarge points out, some of those big tubes look, well, big. And, I assume the big tubes will block your off eye from looking down the barrel to help you find the target in the scope.

Regards, Jake

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I shoot a .243 wssm ,, in a m70 winchester,,,,wanted the best of both worlds,,,,got the leopuld QD one piece quick change mount,,,,have an 8-32 for varmints,,,and its a little to much for the gun,,,6-24 would be pleanty,,,,but the 3-9 I put on for deer is perfect,,,,and these mounts do hold zero very well,,,just a thought,,,,spend the big money on the scope that will see more rounds shot,,,,ie;,,,20 rounds a year on deer or 500 rounds on chucks

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Unless you want that little edge a 50mm objective will give at at dusk and dawn, which is only a few minutes, a 40mm scope will do just about everything you want.

One exception is a high magnification scope. The higher the magnification, the dimmer the image. In practical terms you need a scope with the upper end in the 20x range or so.

As is the case with everything regarding guns and gun accessories, there is a drawback. And that is less depth of field and parallex. You can usually get away without needing an adjustable parallex with a 40mm at low and moderate magnification. It's recommended at high magnification. For 50mm, it's a must at just about any magnification. That adds to cost. The parallex adjustment can be coaxially on the front of the scoe, or side mounted. The latter is usually more expensive, but is easier to adjust from prone and sitting.

30mm scope tubes. Unless you're using a 50mm objective, you won't gain much but deflating your wallet with these on a 40mm.

Special bullet drop compensating reticles. Useful tools. If you have a cartidge that fits the criteria. Carefully read the FAQs and instructions for these on the manufacturer's websites. For Leupold, the Boone and Crocket has no useful purpose for me. But the Varmint reticle does, especially the wind drift portion.

Illuminated reticles. Nice if you are hunting in dim light or under the full moon. They can help in very dark and dense woods. For most hunting, they are a waste of money.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Look through them all at the store. I have a Zeiss Conquest I like, Leupolds that I like, and I would buy a 4200 but no lesser Bushnell Elite.

In the Nikons, go with the Monarch. I tend to avoid the busy reticles, with all the BDC, Mildot, etc. stuff. That's because I use my scope for scanning rather than using binoculars. you may have different needs.

Tip: Look at the far end of the scope as if it were a mirror. The less of your reflection you see, the more light transmission, no reflection at all is best. The light should go through the glass, not bounce back.

Enjoy your rifle, you got a good one.

HM

15. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Leupold VX III only. Do not buy the VX II because it is a lesser scope that will not be as clear as the III. Spend the money on a good scope and you will not be sorry that you did so.

16. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Got to agree with Fred (sarge) on a lot of this...

I would go with the 30mm tube over the one inch (26 mm) - better light transmission.

Go with the largest bell that looks OK on the rifle (again, better light transmission).

Variable power is LESS desirable - a fixed power scope will have better optics - variable power scopes are always a compromise somewhere (they're much better today than they used to be), plus how often to you change the power on your variable scope?? Eight or ten X is where we tend to set scopes, but as was mentioned elsewhere it's getting tough to find these scopes anymore.

Fred is dead-on with the idea of checking the scope at twilight - here is where scopes rise above one another. I hunt in England quite a bit and the only time deer are out is just around sunrise or sunset - a scope's light transmission is everything for this.

I've heard several times (talking about stock rifles rather than custom ones) 'spend as much on the optics as you did on the rifle.'

I've learned to love the 243 - It is unreal on deer and is remarkable in its ability to reach out there.

Good luck with the rifle

David

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

You can spend more but this is all you need...

I have the identical scope on a custom Brown Precision High Country 243 with a Shilen #3 contour 22" barrel, 700 action that shoots under 1 inch at 200 yards.

18. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I am getting the strong impression I need something like this Leupold VX-iii 4.5x40 w/varment reticle. Right? Now, what about mounts and rings? Jake

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leupold-VX-III-4-5-14x40mm-Long-Range-Rifle-55275-NEW_W0QQitemZ220178427930QQihZ012QQcategoryZ31714QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

19. nicky

nicky Member

Jake, check out the upper end Bushnell 4200 scopes. Ive being very happy with them. I also have Zeiss (great scope), Leupold (ok), Nikon (not happy), Also check out the "S&K Scope Mounts". I put them on six of my Rem.700's and after using them I will not use anything else. They have a web site and you should be able to find them on goggle. S&K's phone is 814-489-3091, ask for Howard or Brian Labowski, the owners and great people. , Kevin

20. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Yes, that 4.5-14X40mm VX3 could be a good choice for your multiple uses. I'd buy it new, not off eBay. I like a scope to look right on a rifle, to be balanced in size to its rifle. This one in medium-height mounts will look & weigh about right for this gun. It may fit in low mounts, but I doubt it on this barrel. Keep in mind you'll have a relatively heavy rig here, pushing 10 pounds loaded & with sling. So, you needn't overly worry about getting a short or light scope, this won't be a rifle you'll tote all day. If you have other scoped rifles, hold those scopes over this rifle & get a feel for the max scope size & mass you're looking for. I prefer variables for general use, and fixed (like the Leupold M8 12X Varmint) for specific uses. I'd avoid the 30mm-tubed scopes for this rifle, I just don't think they're appropriate here. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.