1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Scope Adjustments

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cleboje, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleboje

cleboje Member

My shotgun slug gun with cantilever scope is hitting high 4 squares and left about 6 squares at the 50 yard range...

I have a scope that has two dials on it...one has an 'L' with an arrow while the other dial has a 'U' with an arrow...

What direction do I turn the dials to get the slugs back into the center dot of the target???

Joe

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Turn the dials in the direction you want the strike point to move. If you are high go against the U, or down. If you are left turn the dial against the L.

I can't tell you how much cause I don't know the value of your clicks. Start with 4 and 6, if you get halfway to where you want to be do it again.

HM

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Assuming the "squares" you're referring to are 1" squares, if you need to move the group 4" elevation & 6" windage at 50 yds, keep in mind that's 8 moa & 12 moa. If your scope has 1/4 moa clicks that's 32 clicks & 48 clicks.

John C. Saubak

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Turn the elevation adjustment clockwise to go down and turn the windage adjustment counter clockwise(if the krob is on the right side of the scope) to move the poi to the right.

Here's another way you can make the adjustment. Put the cross hairs on the center dot of the target and shoot a shot. Now put the cross hairs back on the center dot of the target and hold it there. Now turn the adjustment knobs until the cross hairs are on the slug hole. The shot gun is now sighted in. HMB

5. cleboje

cleboje Member

OK, everyones advice is very helpful...

The scope is a Simmons 1.5 x 5 power with a top turret and (right) side turret.

Each turret has the notation that says 1 clickO 1/2" 50 yd.

The top turret arrow points at the 'U' and the side turret arrow points at the 'L'.

So if the slugs are hitting 4 squares high and 6 squares left on the 50 yard target; and each target square is one inch; I would move the top turret down 8 clicks and the side turret right 12 clicks, correct?

Joe

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Joe, I am not familiar with the scope you describe, but the advise given above will most likely get you there.

I am sure most of you remember some of the older scopes and possibly some of the cheaper new scopes had the adjustments just the opposite. U-meant the reticle moved up--causing the point of impact to lower. The same being true with the windage adjustment. Using irfner's method would quickly tell you if that is the case with your scope. Hope this helps.----Steve

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Joe.

If the scope adjustments are regulated for 50 yards, you are right on the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.