1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Scooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by spitter, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Anyone running around on a scooter? Recommendations on size and brand? I'm 5'10, 250# and looking for something to take a bite out of my gas bills for my basic running around up to 40-45 mph.

Been looking around and saw the typical Honda and Yamaha offerings, but a Silver Wing and Majesty are probably a bit more than what I would ever need (plus, I'd like to stay around $4-5K or less if possible). Any thoughts on Aprilia or Piaggio. Any thoughts or insight welcomed...

Jay

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Try the link for the Vespa brand and more info.

Eric

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was kind of looking for a three wheel bike equipped with an electric motor and pedals to get me about 35MPH or so in the low end price range.

4. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Try to find a slightly used Honda Reflex, 250 cc's good on fuel and fairly speedy.

Stay away from any of the scooters from China. When I was working for a cycle shop, we had nothing but trouble with Chinese made scooters that people bought elsewhere, but wanted us to repair. They are basicly junk.

Stick with the name brands and they will take good care of you.

The Ruckus, Reflex, Burgmann 400 and 600/650 and others will serve you well.

Also, look at the small 250 cc motorcycles that the major manu. have on the market. I think Suzuki claims 65+ mpg for their 250 cc mc.

JMHO

Phil

5. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Go to their website & click on 250 motorcycles. I bought the Sapero last year & love it! They are using one of Honda's older Helix engines & are the only importer I know who offers a 2 yr. warranty. They also have a complete liine of spare parts if needed.
    I have averaged over 100 MPG on mine since I bought it. So far it has been a reliable bike.

i_shoot

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Scooters are like fat girls....lots of fun, but you would hate to have your friends see you on one!

7. DJM

DJM Member

Our son and his friends are big fans of the Stella's. I think they are the current Vespa. Sometimes there are 5 or 6 of them parked in his driveway. The 150 cc has good acceleration at city speeds, goes about 60 mph and gets up to 90 mpg he tells me.

8. lurker

lurker TS Member

You can't beat a Honda Rebel, or the Suzuki 250. 70 or so mpg. And cheap used. Go to Craigs list for your town, many bikes to be had for 2000-2500 with low miles.

9. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

You people must have a death wish. I walk for most trips under 1 mile. If people figured it out, it would be obvious that it will take many years to pay for some deathscooter with fuel savings. Once you figure in hospital bills and/or funeral expenses, it's a losing proposition.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Now Delbert, quit talking common sense. You're talking to guys who think they need a $10,000 gun shooting $8.00 a box shells to break targets. lol

Let's see, a $3000 scooter costs $150.00 per year in lost interest if you pay cash. At $4.00 per gallon that could buy 37.5 gallons of gas. If your car gets 20 mpg around town, you could drive your car 750 miles around town, about 15 miles per week.

And, you're right. If you fall off, the price does go up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.