1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Savage Mod. 10ML-II Muzzle Loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FalconSprint, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Looking for any info on this gun, pros and cons. If you shoot one please tell me your thoughts. Seems like it would be the best of both worlds, eliminating the need for a special shotgun in shotgun only hunting areas. Any loads, bullet type, weight and brand of powder and bullet,better than others? Mostly interested in smokeless powder functioning. I'm tossed on buying 2 new guns, 1 black powder and 1 shotgun, or just this Savage. I realize I'm limited to 1 shot with the Savage, but that's not a problem as I see it. Thanks in advance. F/S.

2. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

F/S,

Go to WWW.sav10ml.com

There is enough information there to keep you busy for the rest of the year.

The Savage ML is great. It is a deer killing weapon. If you can make the shot the deer does not leave the area.

Ron Burdick

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

My son is a Dear hunting nut . He has been shooting one of the Savage Rifles for three years now . Out to 150 yards it,s a killer .

We have a dear overload and alot of doe,s are being shot and given to the food banks . He turned in 9 yesterday

4. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I bought one of these this fall. It is by far the best deer hunting gun I have ever had. I shot a 153" 9pt at 200 yards a week ago and it dropped him in his tracks. The shot took out his liver and lungs. I have a nikon bdc scope on it and it is sighted to 300yrds. At that distance I can hold a six inch group. I use hornady 240 grn xtp sabots and IMR powder. Best part is I have shot around 40 shots through it and not cleaned it at all. It loaded the last time as easy as the first and you dont have to wait for the smoke to clear after you shoot to see if you hit!

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

What Powder are you using? I know you can use Black/Pyrodex/ Triple 7 ETC., but what Smokeless is adapable?

6. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

I am using IMR SR4759 (at least I think thats what it is without looking). You can also use vitivori 110. those are the only 2 powders listed for that gun. I wouldnt ever shoot black powder or substitute through that gun, it defeats the purpose of having it!
    -John

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I use one all through slug season and into muzzleloader season. I use VV N110 41 grains. Savage recommends 452 bullets not 429's. Other powcers are SR4759 and Accurate 5744. I have taken deer out to 240 yds. I use T/C PTX bullets and a Knight HP black Sabot or MMP sabots. You can't go wrong with the Savage

8. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Thank You all, very much, for the information. My new gun will be ordered tonight, stainless, thumbhole.

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the 5744 will do better than the others order extra nipples

10. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I have had 3 Savage 10ML II's, I have used IMR 4227,Accurate 5744, IMR SR 4759 and VV N110. Several different bullets. My guns didn't shoot as well with 5744 or 4759. The 4227 had ignition problems with loose fitting bullet/sabot combinations but had excellent accuracy. I use T/C PTX 250 gr. bullets. I have tried Hornady XTP's and SST's. Not as good as the PTX's though. Every gun seems to like a little different combination of powder weight and bullets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

imr 4227 in savage 10 ml with 240 g bullets

ml10 ii with imr4227 accuracy