1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Saiga 7.62x39, Anybody Got One? OK?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JonP, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonP

JonP Member

Still looking for a 7.62x39 and was wondering about the Saiga's. I can get one for less than $250 new.

Do they hold up? Does the trigger slap your finger like someone reported that the Rom. AK's do?

Thanks for your time.

Jon

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I have one. Tremendous value for the money, and a great shooter. You can learn all about them at the forum above. This article is also informative: http://savvysurvivor.com/saiga_rifles.htm

Current importer web site: http://www.raacfirearms.com/

3. JonP

JonP Member

MTA Tom,

Do you get trigger slap while shooting it? When I asked about other AKs someone said after 10 rounds on some your trigger finger hurt so bad you didn't want to shoot it anymore.

Also, are extended magazines hard to find for it? It's my understanding that standard AK mags won't fit it.

Jon

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've got one. No trigger slap at all. I've fired 60 to 70 rounds in less than 30 minutes and had no discomfort at all. A price of $250 for a new one is a great price. The seem to be durable and well made.

I've got the 10 round mags. If you buy the aftermarket mags that are greater than 10 rounds, I think you have to replace a bunch of parts with American made parts in order to be legal.

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I haven't had any problem with trigger slap.

Thirty round Master Molder AK mags (made in America with three American parts- body, follower, and floor plate) work perfectly after a five minute alteration, BUT you have to replace at least one more foreign part with a domestic one, or you'll be in violation of "section 922r". Tapco makes a Galil-style American forend that fits right on, for example. Check the Saiga forum for details. This can get VERY complicated.

Saigas can also be easily and inexpensively converted with American parts so that all AK mags can be legally used. American fire control parts are also said to help with trigger slap issues. Again, check the forum for details.

You can convert most foreign AK mags to work in the Saiga, but then you have to change out at least four other parts to avoid violating 922r, so you might as well do the full conversion on the gun.

6. JonP

JonP Member

MTA Tom,

What's the "5 minute alteration" on the Master Molder magazines?

I read a forum post that said to take 1mm (with a file) off of the magazine locking lug - is that it?

Do you use one? (A Master Molder mag.)

Thanks for your time.

Jon

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

That's all that's needed--five minutes only because it took four to find the file. I have three of the Master Molder mags.

Please remember: my understanding of 922r as it applies in this situation is that you must replace at least one more foreign part with an American one before you can legally use these mags in your Saiga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.