1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T S.hip H.igh I.n T.ransit a bit of trivia

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dynokick189, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

An interesting fact

Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so large shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
    Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening. After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term 'Ship High In Transit' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term 'S.H.I.T', (Ship High In Transport) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word. Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a TRAPSHOOTING term.

You may have heard this before, but it bears repeating.

Mike

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You don't seriously believe this _ _ _ _ do you, mike? Try the obvious search in snopes.com.

Neil

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

I thought is was short for "Some Hideous Intestinal Thing".

4. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I thought it was another term for "LOST"!............Roger

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Roger said!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.