1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T RUGER SP101

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bafreebird, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bafreebird

bafreebird TS Member

i am thinking about buying a sp101 in a 3in. 357 cal. how are these hanguns. worth buying. i can buy a new one for 419.00 thanks bob ayers

2. T/C

T/C TS Member

Very well made, excellent shooter, and you'll never wear it out. A good choice.

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

I still have my original Ruger Security Six 2 3/4" from 1972. I carried the gun for 11 years,qualified with it many times and have shot just about every kind of ammo through it. You will not regret your purchase. However, if you can find a comparable Security Six blued or stainless, you can buy it cheaper and it will last just as long. I think they're running around $350-$400. Look on Gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com.

Steve

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Sp101 is much more of a gun than the Security six is. I do believe the action on the Sp is the same as the Redhawk.The security six is what is called a part time 357. Yes it will shoot them but it is not as sturdy as the SP. I might add I own two Security Sixes a blue one and a stainless one. Both by the way made in the 200th year of our freedom. I think Guns Magazine had a great article on the SP a few months ago or it might have been in gun Digest the Magazine. I love my Security Sixes by the way. Great shooters with 38 sp wadcutters for targets. Bill

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I have an SP101 2 1/4" .357 in the drawer beside me. The only negatives I have are: 1. The noise is deafening and 2. They need a larger grip for accuracy and recoil control.

Buz

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Ruger handguns have always been made like a GMC pickup - tough and rugged - though not exactly svelte like a S&W due to being investment castings instead of forged.<br>
    <br>
    The biggest problem with the SP101 is that if you have an average to large hand, the trigger guard will make its presence known when it smacks your middle finger when firing magnum loads. Ruger needed a wee bit more clearance in that area.<br>
    <br>

7. ouch

ouch Member

Did Ruger ever offer the SP101 in .22 cal. ? Thanks,Richard

8. Stetson 33

Stetson 33 TS Member

I'll second the purchase of security six instead of sp 101.It's just as good as revolver for the average joe for less money.I've had mine going on 25 years
    and it shoots anything I feed it.

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here ya go, Ouch, Mash on the link.

Jim

10. Stetson 33

Stetson 33 TS Member

I'll second the purchase of security six instead of sp 101.It's just as good as revolver for the average joe for less money.I've had mine going on 25 years
    and it shoots anything I feed it.

11. ouch

ouch Member

Thanks for the link Jim, That would be a nice trail gun for plinking at about $300.00. At $600.00 I will pass. Richard

12. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I have an SP101 in 9MM that I use as a carry piece. Although it is heavy by five shot revolver standards (due to Ruger's over engineering), it is still smaller and lighter than the six shot Security Six. A five shooter and a six shooter would seem to be in different classes.

13. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I agree with Bob, the SP101 is unique. While I have some Security/Speed/Police-6's, shoot 'em a lot and love 'em, the SP101 is smaller, though it does share the other Rugers' overengineered solidity & weight. I think $419 is a fair price for a very fine revolver. You'll never regret having it. Phil E

14. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

The SP 101 are excellent guns. Built like a tank and no that much recoil. Mine is 357 stainless. They are a 5 shot cylinder. If my memory is correct they did make a 22 version. They seem to be more compact and easier to conceal and pack than the security six. The security six I had seemed to be a little more accurate. For packing the SP 101, for all around home protection the GP 100 is also a good choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.