1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Ruger or Smith

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrrem3200, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

A friend of mine is looking to buy a 6" .357 revolver. He's on the fence between Smith and Ruger. I'm a huge Smith fan and own several of their revolvers. I seem to have more felt recoil with the Ruger but then again I'm biased. So I though it would be interesting to poll you guys on your thoughts. He'll be using this gun for formal and informal target shooting.

2. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Buy Both, I have a few of each, although more 44's than 357's, and enjoy shooting them all.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

In my time on the job, our outfit had the choice of Colt or Smith & Wesson and we had to buy them ourselves (+/- $96). And, no this was not while driving wagons to Orygun. But, it was absolutely clear that the Colt had a much smoother action right out of the box and their fine bluing was to kill for. However, in the long run, the Colt remained as it was for many years while the Smith would "shoot in" or become a really superior action the more it was used. We weren't permitted to buy other brands so Ruger wasn't in this seriously scientific study but Sir John's quite right, the Smith model 19 was far and away the preferred handgun. I later had a blue L model, the 586 .357 Mag. and it was the finest revolver I've ever handled. Now? Well, still got my 1961 Mod. 15, 4" but all the really good mags got sold for shotguns - groan...breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. spritc

spritc Active Member

I agree that Smith has always made excellent handguns and I own several. However, if the 357 is going to be shot a lot at targets, cans etc. the Ruger will outlast a Smith for a heavy volume shooter. In my law enforcement days I carried a Ruger security six snubby that I shot hundreds of rounds through and that gun is as tight as the day I bought it. It has had every kind of round imaginable through it including armor piercing and it will probably continue to serve others long after I'm gone. If your friend is looking for an occasional shooter buy the Smith 19, 586, 686, or 66. If it is going to be shot a lot with all kinds of loads, buy a Ruger. JMHO.

Steve

5. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

IF you like the smith-as i do, buy a older model-the new ones have a micky mouse lock next to the hammer. rick zino

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Oh geeez, Rick's right about that silly, politically correct lock. And, I won't argue with Steve's point but the 586 and 686, K frame grip but L sized frame with heavy lug under barrel, will shoot the mags all day long for a very long time. The K frame Mod. 19 was a bit on the light side for full bore mags all the time and a lot. In our case, we could carry the gun but had to limit ammo to .38, .38+P, or .38+p+ which was supplied. Now, of course, they are packing .40 S&W Smiths and I hear they are cherished.

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I like both, but have more Smiths than Rugers. Prettier. Ultimately he's going to have to handle them all, of course, and check the balance & action feel. Like Steve, I've got a couple of DA Rugers (4" Speed-6 & 2 3/4" stnls Security-6) that I've just plain shot the heck out of over 20 years, mostly very hot loads, and they're like new. Very smooth actions. They just plain take anything, and ditto the wonderful GP100, basically an L-frame-size. It's indestructable. Don't know if he'll shoot a lot of heavy loads? Some days I need to, for therapy from life's stresses, so my favorite .357's take a lot of heavy loads. To me recoil's the same between them, with soft grips (I prefer Pachmayr Compac without the exposed backstrap.) I agree with Bob about the lighter K-frame Smiths with heavy loads, they tire you, but with moderate .38's are my favorite all-day shooters in 4" along with the M-27/M-28 (perfect balance in 4".) I like 4". He should at least look at a 4-6" GP100, but my vote will be a 4" S-W 686, or maybe a used 4" S-W 27 or 28 N-frame. Phil E

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I prefer the Smith & Wesson altho' the Ruger is prob'ly more "rugged".

John C. Saubak

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The S&W is very well finished, very smooth, trim and gracefull thanks to its forged construction. The Ruger is thicker in vital areas because of the investment casting it's made from, they are rugged and give good service. Most of the time the Smith will hold its value better. If budget will allow it of the 357's I would pick the Smith everytime.

10. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I'm a Ruger guy. Have been for years. I have 4 in different calibers and models. My vote goes to them. I have never had problem with any of them.

11. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The Smith "K" frame in 357 is that light foreign car with a 454 V8 dropped in, you can race it but in the long run things will break.

The Smith on the "L", as in the old HIGHWAY PATROL model, nearly unbeatable, strong enough for the 357, and maybe a Caddy to that Buick.

The Ruger Double actions in 357 fit nicely between the two Smith frame sizes, and to me it takes after market grips to make it comfortable, and darn hard to wear it out to!

MY 2C.

Al

12. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

The model 28 HIGHWAY PATROL is an N frame. Nothing wrong with a Ruger, I've had several, but depending on the weather I carry either a model 66 or a Taurus 951.

DB

13. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Having had several S&W's, all N-frames (one 27 and a bunch of 28's), I feel quite safe in saying that they are happy to digest a steady and heavy diet of full-house .357's.

I've handled several Rugers. I've always bought S&W. Never worried about carrying a revolver concealed, so size was never an issue. Always pleased with my N-frames. The 27 - an old 5-screw 8-3/8" - was the most accurate center-fire pistol I've ever owned. Only sold it because I got involved with SASS and went to SAA's.

Tony

14. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I like both. Both are great guns but the Ruger is made so when it is fired it comes straight back into your arm. As for the S+W it goes in an upward direction. If your friend can have him fire both guns with the same ammo and see which one he likes best.

15. elinvar

elinvar Member

I think it's hard to beat a S&W 586 or 686- go on gun broker and get an older one without the lock- be prepared to pay 500$ but it will be well worth it
    Ramrod

16. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I've got a bunch of revolvers, but have been shooting the same M19 since 1971 and have put thousands of rounds through it. No one will ever convince me that they won't hold up to a steady diet of mag loads. I can't imagine anything breaking on any well maintained K frame. I used to shoot bullseye with a K38 and had over 120,000 rounds through that gun when I stopped punching paper. The L frames are more comfy to shoot only because they are heavier and the N frames are simply too big to carry. Rugers? Kinda like Ruger shotguns - clunky and not quite right.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would vote for a decent "L" or "N" frame Smith and Wesson. The "K" frame is usually not well suited for a steady diet of Full house .357 loads. I own both S&Ws and Rugers. The Rugers have provided long and trouble free service and are certainly built tough. Since you mentioned "Target", the S&W might have a slight edge over the Ruger, but would also depend on the individual gun. Also, the "fit" of the gun to the shooter may make a difference. A round grip S&W might fit a small hand better than a square grip and some Rugers, like the GP100, are very adaptable to different grips. Some of the larger Rugers have rather large grip frames, so it may be a matter of ergonomics that decides the final choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.