1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Ruger Mini-14

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Woods, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have been working on a troubled malfunctioning Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. First the barrel had a rusty bore & chamber. Cleaned that. Know the rifle won't cycle. Have removed frame attached to barrel. Looks like a gas check ,looks to be seized. Trying to free up. Any suggestions.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

When you say gas check do you mean the gas piston? Or possibly the gas port in the barrell. Either way I think you might be able to plug the barrel with a rubber stopper and fill the bore with penetrating oil to the chamber and leave it standing, muzzle down, for several days. That should loosen the rust. Otherwise soak the whole gas system, operating rod & gas port attatchment, in penetrating oil.

3. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Soak it in Kroil.....

Ken Rucker

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

What I use on trucks, cars and other things is CR 556. You can get it at any auto store. It works great and all you have to do is put it on wait say an hour but keep put some on and it will break it free from the rust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.