1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Ruger 380 LCP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by crusha, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

Damned girly-man pea-shooter.

...but for you, it should be fine.

(Make DAMN sure you don't dry fire it).

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

American Rifleman did an article on 380's in the Feb issue. Their review wasn't good. Feeding problems and it is "ammunition-sensitive" to keep it running. Not good for a carry gun.

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

www.elsiepeaforum.com

Popular gun. Most .380s do need a lot of break in rounds.

It may not be the gun you wished you had in your hands for defense, but it is easy to carry and is more protection than a few stern words.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They feed alright if you get jacketed bullets, problem now is finding ammo for them, don't seem to be a lot of .380 stuff around ... Those are better protection than a baseball bat and with a little fine tuning it can be reasonably reliable (Key word: reasonably), but they are a little on the small side for a man sized hand ... Its well worth the price you paid for it if you won it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Denny, those little autos already have feed problems, and with your limp wrist is will never fire. Trade it in on the 16 ga. mod 12.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The only little pistol didn't have any malfunction in the American Rifleman article was a $1100 one. The author admitted his previous test on some guns in the current article was fine, but jammed this time.

I guess it all depend on the particular sample + ammo + weather at the time.

For me, the most expensive part of owning a defense pistol is the cost of high performance ammo during extended test of a new gun. In cases like LCP or any other less expensive guns, the testing cost will run couple hundred dollars before I feel comfortable carrying it.

Sometimes I pay higher than retail for a well tested piece from trusted sources because of it.

Also, don't turn your nose away from these mouse guns, big guns tends to got left at home, small ones will make you want to carry, when trouble finds you, most likely you'll have one of these in your pocket.

A mouse gun pointing at a dirt bag is 100 times more effective than a 1911 not in your hand.

7. EE

EE Banned User Banned

The LCP has had lots of feed issues. It is a knock-off of a KelTec P3AT, which does not have those problems. 380's are hot right now, and if your wife wants one for self-defense, sell the LCP and buy a KelTec.

Of course, now all the Ruger owners will come out of the woodwork whining and defending the LCP, but the FACTS are that they have had lots of issues, including a factory recall. If you love your wife, and I know you do, get rid of the LCP.

EE

8. emm2

emm2 Member

The recall is old, no current LCPs are on it. I have one and it had feeding issues at first. A buddy found an article about polishing a Kel Tec which is similar to the LCP. I polished the slide, barrel and ramp with a polishing tip on a dremel tool and have put 300 rounds through it with no more feeding problems. The recoil is heavy and not a fun gun to shoot but after polishing it it has been very reliable. After reading the article on ultra compact .380s it showed me Ruger is not the only company not finishing these guns well but how much do you expect for a $300 gun.

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

What is a girly mans gun is a 25 cal.

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

These are small enough for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.