1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Ruger#1B questions/recommendations

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LOWGUN, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Thinking of a #1B in 30-06 and was wondering if anyone had any info, good or bad to pass. Mike

2. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Go to search here on TS.com and look it up. That question has already been asked.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The trigger/hammer assy' is easily removed and is very tunable, if you are so inclined. Make SURE the back of the scope base does not butt against the receiver. If it does, remove it and file away material so there is around .050" clearance upon reinstallation. Set the ejector spring down so the hull does not play pinball on the way out of the gun.

The 30/06 likes bullets OVER 150 gr, due to the 1/10" twist. The 165 is a long time favorite. With a shot glass full of RL-22, the 165 can be pushed to 3000 fps, matching power of the legendary 300 H&H. Precision reloading techniques will get you surprising accuracy.

If you like single shot rifles, this is the one to get for the money. Use GOOD optics!

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have two, both scoped with Leupold Vari-X III 2.5x8 scopes, and I consider them to be the ultimate hunting rifles. The first is a 6mm Remington Bicentennial model I bought back in 1976. I have shot many Mule Deer and pronghorns with it, including my biggest Mulie. The second is a .280 Remington I bought in the early 90s. I have used it on several elk, plus Mule Deer and Pronghorns. In the 6mm I load 100 gr Nosler Partitions, and in the .280 either Nosler 140 gr or 160 gr Partitions. Both are sighted in 3" high at 100 yards. The 6mm hits about 1.5" low at 300 yards, while the .280 with 140 gr Noslers is right on at 300. Both will group under 2" at 300 (three shots) if I do my part.

Years ago in Montana one could buy antlerless B deer tags for fairly cheap, and I made several trips. At least twice I shot two does out of the same bunch with the 6mm, so don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a quick repeat shot off with a single shot. Also there are few guns prettier than a nice #1. The wood on the 6mm is nice, but the .280 is nothing special. I have a very nice blank from Gordy down in the basement and plan to use it on the .280 after this hunting season is done. Meanwhile it will be deer and elk in Idaho, and antelope in Montana, and I expect my #1s will do just fine.

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Most accurate rifle I ever owned in 270 Weatherby. 3/4" five shot groups at 175 yards with and 3x9 Simmons Deerfield $60 K-Mart scope. I was surprised, as I could hardly see the target well enough to be consistant, but it always shot as well whenever I sighted. Follow up shots are a pain in the ass if you miss on a moving bear. Sold it because of that, but I would buy another in 30-06 any day if it was a fair price.

6. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Thanks for all the good info. Mike

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice rifles

Gene

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have a #1B in 6mm and a #1V in .22-250. Both guns shoot well and have never malfunctioned or broken. I have heard a few horror stories about poor accuracy with the #1 due to the two piece stock design but that certainly hasn't been my experience. In my opinion, the #1 is one of the best looking rifles ever made and it carries like a dream. My bet is that you will be very happy if you decide to get that #1B in .30-06. A rifle of this quality needs good optics on it, one of the Leupold VXIII models would be fitting.

9. nogunracks

nogunracks TS Member

i have a model 1b in 3006 had it for many years now use it mostly in north carolina bean fields this rifle racked up a good many kills in the past 16 yearsor so use nothing but hornady 150 grain boat tail with 59.4 grains of imr 4350 and a winchester primer this rifle got to be known as instant death since i only missed 1 deer in all this timeif you want any more info on this rifle just drop me an e mail i can give you a lot of loads that i tried. first thing to do is to find your seating depth then seat your bullet just shy of touching the rifling. good shooting earl

10. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Best rifles I ever owned... Have several...26'' barrels give you more velocity...And a great Antelope rifle in 6mm with 100 gr Nosler...A good scope is a must for this great rifle......Pete

11. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have a number one tropical in 416 Rigby. Great rifle.

12. antelopehunter

antelopehunter TS Member

I am a huge fan of the Ruger # 1. I currently have 3: !V in .223, and 1B's in .22-250 and 25-06. All 3 of my rifles are quite accurate but I feel they shoot tighter groups with carefully tailored handloads than factory ammo. I enjoy shooting them whether it is paper punching, prairie dogs or deer or antelope hunting. I have a fixed 12 Leupold on the .223 and 10 power Bushnell scope on the .22-250 and a 3-9 Leupold on the 25-06.

Look out owning Ruger # 1's can become addictive! I think if you try one you will like it. there is a lot of information available on these rifles on the Ruger # 1 forum.
    Joel Druley

13. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Fred has pretty well coverd the problems with a #1. They are nice to look at but there are better choices..............Roger

14. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have an elk hunt starting four weeks from today, so I went out to the range this afternoon to fire a few rounds. I took along a Model 77 Mark II in .25-06 that I bought from a friend this spring, and the .280 #1-B I described earlier. The .25-06 I had never fired before. My one son had tried it out with factory ammo, Remington 100 gr. He claimed it kicked too much. Last night I loaded one box with 115 gr Nosler partitions, 51.0 gr IMR 4831, CCI 200, and WW new cases. I set up the target at 100 yards according to my laser rangefinder. The first three shots printed 2" high, 1" right, and grouped about 0.8". I adjusted the scope, and the next three printed 2.5" high and 0.5" left, grouping just over 1". I then tried three shots at a target someone had left at 225 yards (again, laser ranged), and printed 4" high, with two almost touching and the third about 1.5" left.

I put away the .25-06 and got out the #1. It is sighted 3" high at 100 yards for my favorite deer/antelope load, with Nosler 140 gr Partitions, RL 19, CCI 200 primers, and WW cases. The load I had brought along uses Federal cases, IMR 7828, and 160 gr Nosler Partitions. Three shots from a cold barrel printed centered but 7" high, and all three can be completely covered by a nickle (I checked). Now I need to decide before the elk hunt whether to crank it down and use the 160 gr bullets, or leave it alone and use the 140 gr. I have killed two elk, a cow and a big 6x6 bull, with one shot each over 250 yards with the 140 gr bullets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.