1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O T Rosetta Stone Spanish

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chiefjon, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

My grand daughter is having some trouble with second year high school spanish. I wonder if any of you have any experience with this process. They spend a lot on advertising, is it any good? Any feedback appreciated.

JON

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would like to know also

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I do not have first hand knowledge but my Nephew has it and he is talking more and more Spanish all the time ... Being in Law enforcement he thinks being able to habla is a plus ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't know what it costs or if it's worth what they ask but it works as described. My bother used it to learn Spanish to deal with the ever increasing non-English speaking suspects he would have come through his Court.

Sigh.........

What is going on in this Country?

5. 87AA

87AA TS Member

I've used the Rosetta Stone German program and thought it was excellent. Unlike most language programs it uses visual indicators along with repetition as part of the learning process. It's a bit expensive but worth the price. Keep in mind it requires intensive and repeated usage if you expect it to work.

6. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Also make sure your grand daughter gets the right Spanish program they have both Latin American Spanish and Castilian Spanish.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes it does work although it is intended to get a person to the conversational level of the language. This won't by itself get your granddaughter through the high school spanish class as that gets into the mechanics of the language. Kind of like being able to pass an english class just because you speak english.

I used Rosetta stone to learn conversational Spanish for my job in Honduras. I'm sure it sounded like a tard to the local people but at least there was communication.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We have it, I guess it helps but hasn't helped me too much, when we bought it they only offered one Spanish dialect, so it doesn't have much Tex Mex in it

I don't think I would shell out the money for it again though, maybe the Hispanic version is better

The only Spanish I can remember is Uno mas cervesa por pavor senorita, and that was from a Tommy Alverson song LOL

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

While it should help her with the spoken aspects of the language - both from her understanding and for others to understand her, I am not sure it will help her with the academic side the schools are looking for.

That being said, if she increases her confidence chances are her performance will go up across the board.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I picked up "Berlitz" Spanish program (cheap) at one of the big box stores. I probably didn't give more than $30 for it. It didn't do much for me. I too thought about Rosetta Stone but didn't want to shell out the money they are asking for their product. I wonder if a person could find a used version on ebay?

I had 2 years of high school Spanish but that was 40 years ago. The way they taught a foreign language back then was a waste. They weren't really interested in teaching you how to speak the language but were hung up on the student being able to diagram sentences! Nothing wrong with that, but I would think it would be better to have you speak the language before diagramming sentences.

Any young person better learn Spanish because in another 20 years......

Hell I'm in Indiana and the closest border is Canada, but yet it seems like 25% of the people around here only speak Spanish.

Catpower I have about the same Spanish vocabulary as you plus I can - donde esta la taberna? LOL Uno mas!

11. Firewater

Firewater Member

i know this sounds stupid, but if you had a mexican gardener ? mike

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Check on EBay, you can pick them up really cheap ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Bisi, you swearing at me LOL

I guess I need to put on the head phones that have been laying beside my 'puter for the last few years and get to work to see what you said

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

He wants to know where the water hole is - uno mas cervesa ....

Yes like it or not spanish is the world's most common language and getting bigger by the second. More than likely the current generation that is going through high school will need to be fluent in spanish if they intend to manage a work force or work in any service industry.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Checkout Rocket Spanish here on the web...works very well and has a really long free trial version before you decide you want to buy the real thing which is very reasonable..and it comes in the Latino.TexMex dialect

16. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

Hey Catpower,after uno mas cervesa you should know donde esta el bano:).

17. wyomingcutthroat

wyomingcutthroat Member

My two cents, and this is over simplified but...Some kids are visual learners, they see somthing they understand it. Some are aural learners, they hear it and they've got it. Some are motor learners, they learn best by touching and taking things apart.

Most of us, adults and kids alike use a combination of those learning styles. Rosetta Stone type courses combine speaking, hearing and seeing, using 3 channels. It works extremely well for a few, pretty well for most and not real well for some.

There are no guarantees, but it's pretty good; the State Department, many law enforcement agencies, some businesses, etc. use the same technique. It'll help her with her conversation, but it may not help her with the written grammar part of the course.

Buying it used on ebay or trying to borrow copies makes sense to me. People are born with many talents, some are really good at athletics, some with math, some with their hands, some are good and fast with language acquisition.

I was a middle school teacher and elementary school principal for 35+ years, eventually taught myself enough Spanish to get by when the population in our town changed. Wish I'd had something like Rosetta Stone back in the day.

If your granddaughter uses the program as directed, chances are pretty good she'll benefit with conversational Spanish.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.