1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Rolex Watches

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BP348, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I've been thinking about buying a Rolex so I was wondering what everyone opinion was on Rolex watches? Good, bad, other? do you recommend them? would you buy anotther? Ect...

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

As is the case most times , do a search here , it has been discussed plenty of times

3. dcmulcahy

dcmulcahy Member

Jerry,

I have a 99.9% mint 18k/SS Datejust oyster with slate numeric dial for sale. Has just been serviced by rolex, (nothing wrong, just routine, unworn since) and only your wallet will know it isn't brand new. I would never own anything else as I purchased a second one (Submariner). Digital pics available if you will send me an e-mail containing your e-address. This is a really nice piece!

I bought it new in 2001, and have all boxes,paperwork,etc.

$5600.new, I will sell for $3900. OBO

Remove x's from email

4. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Mulcahy,

email sent. However I will let you know The watch I really want is a Submariner 18K/SS with the blue face.

5. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I am sure that is a nice watch that is for sale. However, since I usually dont worry about time that much I probably wont be needing one of those any time soon. My cell phone is good enough for me :) I would like to see some pics of a watch like this though.

Forrest

6. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

Have one my father gave me new in 1990 when I graduated college. Worn almost every day since. Dependable, trouble-free. Still looks good when I clean it. One area of my life I'll never have to worry about again.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

You dont have to wear it to keep it wound ,there is a box made that vibrates every few hours to keep it wound. Then perhaps you would have everything? Jeff

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Very nice watches with classic styling, but grossly overpriced beyond their value thanks to successful marketing. But be advised they should be cleaned and lubed every five years at a cost of about $500. That's what Rolex charges and my local jeweler wanted almost as much. Don't buy new and I wouldn't buy one very old because chances are it has never been serviced.

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

A guy on here got his cleaned and serviced, and the charge was something like $500! Thats nuts! I was hot to buy one at one time, till a buddy said he had to have his adjusted once a year to keep good time! I have a Citizen Quartz that from 8 feet away looks like a Rolex, and keeps PERFECT time! amd it was only $250. At that price I wouldn't care too much if I lost it. In my opinion the price is outrageous for a watch that only MIGHT keep good time. AND my buddy think his is to damn heavy to beat all! Check out some of the $185-$400 Seiko's, you won't beleive how nuce they are. Take a nice vacation with what you will save!

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

Had my Sea Dweller since 1983. Service it by ROLEX about every five or so years. Works great. No problems. Better that the Seiko it replaced. Worth more today that I paid for it.

TB

11. MorgMeister

MorgMeister TS Member

I sell Previously owned Rolex's because they work, my customers dont come back with trouble, and the watches appreciate in value. Yes can buy cheaper watches that keep good time but just like most cars they loose value as soon as you drive them off the lot! And yes, like any car (forgive the analogy) they require maintenance and use to stay in top shape. The other side is the Rolex is easier to flip because it is so recognisable by the buying public.
    Morg.........

12. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

There are tons of counterfeit Rolex's on the market. I would suggest that unless you know the difference, buy a new one or a used one from someone whom you trust.

hubcap

13. MWS123

MWS123 TS Member

Try a Tudor. Same maker as Rolex I believe, and much less expensive.Same quality better price. Marshall

14. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

A Rolex watch is expensive, but my nine year old Submariner no-date is priceless to me. I bought it new from a Rolex jeweler; until recently I have worn it everyday, and I have not yet had it or needed to have it serviced. It is now worth quite a bit more than what I paid for it, but it is not for sale at any price. Regardless of how I'm dressed when I'm wearing it, to me, it always looks classy, and I never get tired of looking at it.

I also have a Seiko that is 25+ years old that only needs a battery every five years, and it keeps time just as accurately as the Rolex, but I consider the Rolex to be something really nice and of value that I can hand down my Son when I'm gone. BTW, if you buy one, I highly recoimmend buying from a Rolex jeweler, that way you get a jeweler's appraisal with it, so you have a reasonable assurance that its authentic.

15. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Joe, how do you figure that your Rolex is worth "quite a bit more than what I (you) paid for it? Just because a new one costs more than yours did doesn't mean that your used one is worth the same. Most likely, your used Rolex is worth less than half of what you paid for it and going downhill daily.

My pocket watch (otherwise known as a cell phone) keeps perfect time since it gets constant updates.

16. lightfoot

lightfoot TS Member

I'm new to shooting trap and skeet. But I can't afford a Rolex. Given how many of you can, is shooting trap and skeet for the rich too?

I am currently carrying a Waltham pocket watch made in 1901. Keeps great time. :)

17. traptraptrap

traptraptrap TS Member

I will exchange your rolex with MX3 skt/skt.

18. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

I selected a Tudor for my 25th anniverasary award --- didn't want a GF clock or the other stuff -- that I received in '91 . Unfortunately I wear it most of the time and the crystal "reflects" such lack of consideration .

I keep meaning to have the crystal replaced but then I whack it again . When it becomes inaccurate , I'll probably have it given some attention and replace the crystal BUT a $500 or even half that since it is a half-gassed Rolex isn't in the cards any time soon .

My youngest son picked up a high-end Submariner copy in Singapore when he was in the navy and like the others of you who remark about their heft --- do divers adjust their weight belts to compensate for the dive watch ? The Tudor is MUCH lighter .

Charlie

19. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Little Dog;

When I say my Rolex is worth "quite a bit more" than what I paid for it, I mean its now worth about $800.00 to $1,000.00 more than what I paid for it in '98, but I wouldn't sell it for what its worth so its irrelevant.

I can remember back in my Air Force days thirty years ago, that the same Rolex was $600.00 in the Eglin AFB exchange, and thinking to myself, "who the h@ll would spend $600.00 for a watch" - LOL!

I can't go out without wearing a watch, if I didn't have the Rolex, or if I had to somehow give it up, my old Seiko always works just fine for me. - JoeBerg

20. C H S

C H S TS Member

Rolex watches don't do anything a $50 watch won't do but they'll probably do it longer than anyone who can afford to buy one will be alive. If you intend to pass one on to kids or grandkids, invest the money and give the investment vehicle to them instead; it will be a helluva lot more useful in the end.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.