1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: RIP George Carlin

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mixer, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

George Carlin the funny, acerbic social commentator passed away late yesterday at 71yo. RIP George, you'll be missed.

Eric

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

He was smart, made you think and constantly pushed the limits of what could be said in public....and he was hilarious. The Today Show showed a clip of his first appearence on the Tonight Show in B&W, with his "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" skit and Johnny Carson was roaring with laughter...those were the days!!

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I liked the fact that he didn't have any time for Political Correctness and told things the way they were but in a round about way that made you think about it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I bet he didn't take his $h** with him.

5. code5coupe

code5coupe Well-Known Member

Carlin was a sub-standard comedian, relying on a crude, potty-mouth style that was anything but funny. His material relied on shock value rather true wit.
    I shall not miss his brand of "comedy".

6. Juno

Juno TS Member

That was a good reference JBrooks. Hey code, sub-standard? That's your opinion, and in case you didn't notice this is a RIP thread. Oh I'm sure PTS will pipe up now about how the man was not funny and had zero accomplishments in his life.

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Code5, you are an ass.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I would say what I thought of Carlin but there are seven words to describe him that I can't print on here.

AJ100

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I did,t like him as a comedian and Did,t know him as a man . To bad he is dead but it happens to the best of us .

10. Zig

Zig TS Member

I would agree with Doggai George Carlin may have not been the cleanest comedian, but anybody who appreciates humor and intelligence, and has any respect or decency they would not slander a dead man. Further more to the poeple who dislike Carlin, why waste the few brain cells that are lurking to post negotive commentary to this thread. seriously. find something more constructive to do.

on a side note, you ney sayers want to hear vulgar comedy? listen or watch Lisa Lampinelli.

GEORGE CARLIN RIP

KS

11. Juno

Juno TS Member

Has received two Grammys for his albums "Fm & Am" (1972) and "Jammin' In New York" (1993).
    Has starred in 11 HBO specials since 1977.
    Carlin was the first ever host of "Saturday Night Live", as well as the first ever host of "Fridays" a show fashioned after "SNL", on another network.
    Inducted into the Comedy Hall of Fame in November of 1994.
    Received a Hollywood Walk of Fame star in January of 1987. It's located at the corner of Vine and Selma Streets, between Sunset and Hollywood Boulevards. Milton Berle presided over the ceremony.
    Jack Burns and Carlin were a comedy team from 1960-1962. When they parted ways in 1962, Burns joined the Second City comedy group in Chicago, and George Carlin pursued a solo standup comedy career.
    The radio broadcast of an uncensored version of his routine "Seven Dirty Words You Can't Say on Radio or Television" became the center of a debate over censorship, and FCC legislation over profanity.
    Went to a Church School for most of his school years.
    One of his influences was Spike Jones.
    His wife, Brenda, died one day before his sixtieth birthday.
    Hosted the first episode of Saturday Night Live on October 11, 1975.
    Biography in: "Who's Who in Comedy" by Ronald L. Smith. Pg. 91-93. New York: Facts on File, 1992. ISBN 0816023387
    Chosen as #2 in Comedy Central's 100 Greatest Stand-Ups of All Time (April 2004).
    His list of the Seven Words You Can't Say on TV are referenced in Private Parts (1997).
    Appeared in "The Simpsons" (1989) episode "D'oh-in' in the Wind," playing a former hippie. In a previous episode of the show, Krusty the Clown is told he's being sued by Carlin for stealing the "Seven Words You Can't Say on Television."
    Daughter Kelly born in 1963.
    #2 in Comedy Central's 100 Greatest Standups of All Time.
    Irish-American.
    Attended (but was expelled from) Cardinal Hayes High School Bronx, New York. Same alma mater of Regis Philbin and Martin Scorcese.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

George Carlin wasn't all about counter culture comedy. I have spent many hours watching 'Thomas the Train' shows with my daughter mostly narrated by Carlin. Clearly, the man had a wide variety of skills and certainly was intelligent.

Hard to believe that some people find it necessary to piss on his grave.

13. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

PTS- You are what comes out of a horse's ass. I wasn't talking to you, mind your own business. You folks that don't think the man was talented just don't have enough going on between your ears to understand his humor. He was more successful than all of you put together.

14. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

He was funny in a lot of ways. Made you think about something obvious in a different way, and if you still didnt get it he'd explain it in so many four letter words.

Made me laugh a lot.

When I read these negative threads, I remember why I dont visit and contrbute to trapshooters.com very much any more. The biggest idiots seem to have the most to say.

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

The people who started the sh__ above, are precisely why the world needs people like George Carlin.

Namely, to piss off people like those above.

16. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam TS Member

r44u77 - "buzz-gun,

There are a lot of simple minded idiots with babbos rammed up their assholes. That's how morons like Dubya get elected by fundamentalist Jeshus freeks and NRA card carying morons."

I see the democratic underground kooks are out tonight.....

17. trap41

trap41 TS Member

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anybody driving faster is a maniac? – George Carlin

To the George Carlin haters; you sound like small minded anal retentive confused dopes that will never understand humanity.

You stayed home and J.O. too much during childhood hating the world as it passed you by.

Learn to live and enjoy life.

18. Zig

Zig TS Member

As wolfram said Carlin was intelligent. one of the requirements needed to understand his humor. I must say "Well said" wolfram, Blizzard, Lots of 24's, Buzz-Gun, and Yosemite Sam. If anyone knew anything about carlin or his humor, or read any of his books you would know that he was not for a certain group of politics he was always anti "The Man" in general. And by the way if he was that bad of a person you better not let your kids (providing you have them) watch the disney movie Cars either(sarcasm) he is one of the characters in that too. And with what Juno said, i would like to see the ney sayers top those accomplishments.

to the people who said something positive Shoot Well!

KS

19. Zig

Zig TS Member

as i was typing my last comment, trap41 put one on, and i must say LMFAO thats funny, and i agree.

ks

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

CORNHOLE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.