1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T rifling twist & accuracy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Can a bullet be spun too fast? I'm aware that using a heavier than normal for caliber bullet in a barrel of standard twist for that cartridge can cause a decrease in accuracy due to insufficient bullet stabilization.

Can using too LIGHT a bullet also cause accuracy problems? If so---why??

John C. Saubak

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear John

The answer is yes to both questions. The best example might be a 40 grain bullet fired in the 5.56 AR barrel with a 1-7" twist. At range, the bullet will precess like a gyroscope. This may be at several hundred yards.

If the 80 gr Sierra MK is fired in a 223 with a 1-14" twist, it will have an uncontrolled keyhole quickly.

A 110 gr bullet fired from a 30/06 with a 1-10" twist would not be as accurate as the same bullet fired from a gun with a 1-14" twist. However, a 30/06 with a 1-14" twist would be very limited in its use.

Standard weights in standard calibers is the key. If you want a wildcat or desire to shoot a very light or heavy bullet, do your research, and talk to barrel makers. If a twist is not available, there is likely a good reason.

Typically, extended range performance is enhanced by use of aerodynamically efficient heavy bullets.

What do you have in mind?

3. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

John, You can spin some bullets so fast they disintegrate just out of the barrel.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A 30-06 with a 14" twist is a very accurate combination, it will stablize everything up to and including 168 grain bullets. HMB

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bullet weight determines the twist needed.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Grunt, you are right, buuuuut..........

What stabilizes the bullet is RPM's. This is a function of velocity and twist together.

I'm thinking of a 6mm AI that works a 70 grain bullet well, even though it has too slow a twist (14). The 3700 plus velocity produces the RPM that a faster twist would at slower velocities.

If you go to 6mmBR.com there is a forum there that has lots of very good Rifle guys.

I have a couple essays on the subject for you if you email me.

HM

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Bullet weight determines the twist needed."

Wrong. Bullet DIAMETER and LENGTH determines the twist needed.

Twist = 150 X D²/L

Where: D = bullet diameter in inches L= bullet length in inches

Click the link for more info.

8. m70win

m70win Member

That's true Brian a short flat base round nose won't key hole when a longer hollow point boattail will.

Tim

9. Brian in Oregon

BTW, the Greenhill Formula (see the formula in the previous post) is not 100% exact. It will work, but the result can be 'tweaked' for specific conditions.

For example, it's common for .45-70 rifles that shoot 500 grainers to add 2" to 4" to the calculated twist rate because of the slow velocity. Generally a calculated 20" to 22" twist will be reduced to 18".

And often the .22-250 has its calculated twist rate slowed by 2" because of overstabilization due to increased velocity. For example, though the 55 rain bullets for a .223 are ideal in a 12" twist, many 22-250's have a 14" twist.

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Brian, Your right I over looked the length.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'm working with a new .375 Ruger, "Hawkeye African". She'll shoot just slightly over 1 moa (5 shot groups) with Hornady factory 270 gr spire-point loads. Trying to develop a 225 gr SP handload with IMR 4064, best I can come up with so far is twice the size groups (over 2"). I'm thinking~~~~~~might be too tight a twist? Might be something else??

John C. Saubak

12. Brian in Oregon

John, keep in mind that group size can be affected by barrel harmonics. If you can't get a good group with a certain powder with incremental steps in amount, try a different powder.

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thanks Brian,

I might try IMR4320, or maybe IMR4350

This cartridge is so new tho' that it's hard to find loading data for it?

John

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 375 Ruger might like Alliant's RL-15 with the lighter bullet. RL-22 might be worth a try. These powders do very well in inclement weather. A federal 215 appears to be in order. This gun is not a long range match gun, but Thor's Hammer in a standard length action!

The poster commenting on the 30/06 being very accurate with the 1-14" twist is right, but one loses the ability to shoot 180 grainers, the pill that made the 30/06 famous. I personally shoot the 165 Hornady BTSP for game in my area. This is one of the few times I am happy with a compromise between the 150 and the 180. For target, I have several thousand 190 SMK I bought from a Military shooter who was deployed to the sand box. The fast 10" twist of the '06 is a carry over from the 220 grain bullet of the 30/40. However, the big bullets shoot great in the '06.

When I shot the Service Rifle Match Course I had stainless Krieger barrels on my Garand with a 1-12" twist. It was fed exclusively the 168 SMK and Accurate Arms 2520. This is one of the finest powders I have ever used in the 30/06 and 308 with the 168, and the 5.56 with the 69 gr SMK.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you would buy a Remington match rifle in the old days it would come with a test target fired at 100 yards. Two or three 5 shot test groups were shot with 37 grains of 3031 and a 168 grain match bullet. I shot alot of good scores using that load out to 200 yards. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.