1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Rifle Shooters - What is Metal Clad Bullet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by deercreek, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Guys...I need a little help. When a company refers to their bullet as being metal clad...what exactly does that mean. I do not necessarly think it means it will be attracted to a magnet does it? Is it copper that TOTALLY encloses the lead base of the bullet?

I am really talking about new manf. Federal 223's. Federal is doing things so rapidly it is not on their web-site. There are spitting out Federal and Lake City 223's right now with so many different product numbers that I cannot keep up with them. Anyone able to help???

2. deercreek

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Probably means the lead core is completely surrounded by the jacketing material, rather than the rear of the lead core being left exposed as in a jacketed bullet.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as FMJ or Full Metal Jacket. Military ammo is usually FMJ as prescribed by the Geneva Convention and the rules of war.

Eric

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    As a little history lesson, in the early days this was referred to as a "metal patch", as opposed to a "paper patch" as used on some lead bullets for blackpowder cartridges. Early metal patches were generally copper or nickle, though brass was sometimes used, or a combination or mixture. Later this became known as a jacket.

6. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

deercreek - Did I miss something - you mention Federal and Lake City together? The Lake City ammo plant opened in 1941 and was ran by Remington Arms from 1941 until 1985 when Olin won the bid to operate it and I thought they still did???? - Federal makes ammo for military contracts - but do they operate the Lake City ammo plat? I remember the days when I shot NRA highpower - It was almost impossible to reload ammo that would out-shoot good ol' LC-852

7. deercreek

Well ATK owns Federal and don't they operate Lake City? Also I have Federal American Eage ammo factory made with LC brass in 223. I would guess that some of Federal may very be made in LC and some of LC may very well be made in Federal in MN. We will not likely know the exact answer for company security reasons.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The Lake City ammunition plant in the Kansas City area is indeed an ATK facility.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.