1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Rifle Purchase Advise

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by unioncracker, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

Need advise to buy a 223/5.56 AR 15 style rifle. I see some rifles marked 223 or 5.56. To my knowledge there is no difference. Also what rifle will be interchangeable with say a colt upper and lower assembly. Looking for the most all around diverse. Any ideas.

Thanks

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Make SURE you get your AR-15 with the 5.56mm chamber. There are subtle differences. The 223 chamber will generate excessive pressures when used with some military ammo. The Colt's lower is not compatible with most aftermarket uppers unless you use an adapter. Same with the Colt's upper and most other lowers.

The 5.56mm chamber will eat 'em all. I prefer the 1-9" twist. This will handle most available ammo. A chrome lined chamber and bore is another desirable feature, especially if you are going to use steel cased ammo. This is often the only thing available in reasonable amounts and prices. Also, a Wolff Extra Power Extractor Spring. A MacFarland One Piece Gas Ring is a wise addition. This is about all the non factory parts I put on the AR-15.

I have reloaded the 5.56 since,,, well for a long time. It is a straight forward rifle to load for, and is easy on brass. It IS hard on loaded rounds. Use cannelured bullets and a Lee Factory Crimp die. Seat the bullet so you can barely see the cannelure. The mags are length sensitive. 20 round mags are more reliable. Military Surplus or Brownell's work well.

Set the shoulder back .003" with the RCBS Small Base Full Length die for best results. The 5.56 is a high intensity round, and fouls the chamber quickly. I like the Redding Match Shell holder kit. The +2 works well. Watch trim length. This round stretches. Trim to 1.75".

For the 20" barrel and 55 gr bullets, use Accurate 2230. If using a 16" barrel, use Accurate 2015 for minimum muzzle flash. If loading the 62 gr pill, use Accurate 2520. CCI or Winchester primers work.

Make sure your rifle has STOCK hammer and trigger springs. Trust me on this. For 99% of use, leave the stock trigger in. If shooting iron sights, look at the Hi Viz front sight. It allowed me at the age of 62 to ace a Law Enforcement Patrol Rifle Instructor Class with my iron sighted Colt. If you might use optics, get a model with the removable carry handle. The A-2 has a better rear sight, but the A-1 is less fragile.

Do not install a "tactical" charging handle. The first REAL class you take with your rifle, this piece of scrap metal will let you down. No reduced power recoil spring. LEAVE IT BASICALLY STOCK.

Buy one while you can. Spend as much as you can afford. A used Colt's is the best deal. Everyone says otherwise, but check used gun prices. The Colt's has all the good stuff. Early Sporters may have the 1-7" twist. This is not a deal killer. If you find the SP-1 in good shape, grab it! You can live with the slow twist.

3. Shooting Coach

This pic is at a Law Enforcement Patrol Rifle Instructor Class in Ohio. I am the handsome devil in the green shirt. I am standing next to Bank Miller, former DEA Chief Firearms Instructor and one of the foremost Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors in the world. A personal friend and peer.

Notice my rifle is set up with iron sights for this course. The Hi Viz works. After aiming the Colt with the Hi Viz front sight for 5 days and 1000 rounds, it took me two weeks to quit aiming my trapgun! LOL

4. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Should you have or find a fixed-carry-handle AR and want to use optical sights, I like the Midwest Industries adjustable handle mount (above.) It allows the red dot/holographic sight to be slid up & down until it co-witnesses with the iron sights, giving you instant choice between sight systems. I like the EOTech sight and 16" lightweight barrel for a light, quick patrol rifle. A hunting or target upper would be set up differently, and I suspect from your question you plan to have 2 or 3 uppers to do different things. If so, easiest thing could be to stick with one brand (Colt, Lewis Machine, Rock River, Bushmaster, etc.) Phil E

6. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

I was looking more for the interchangeable parts. Times get sticky want to be able to repair between manufacturers if possible. A lot of good info here and appreciate it all.

Buddy

7. Shooting Coach

My stock Colt's HBAR with the factory chrome lined 16" Heavy Barrel will bust an inch with a Trijicon ACOG. The ACOG is a 1.3X Gunsight. This makes the gun bad news out to 400 yards or so.

OTOH, I have a Browning Varmint Boss in 223/5.56mm with a faster than normal twist that will shoot in the high twos, and will still shoot heavy ball M855 if circumstances require. I load a 60 gr Hornady V-Max at 3200 FPS.

Stay with a bolt gun if you want under 1/2 MOA. You do not have to chase precision prepped brass.

For fun, utility, and necessity, keep the AR-15 fairly stock, and get a chome lined bore and chamber so that it WILL shoot whatever is available.

8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Hey, SC.....any experience with the Smith and Wesson M & P Ar's?? I have one coming next week....they are chrome lined and chambered in 5.56, 1 in 9 twist, so I assume any ammo (either 5.56 or .223) will work.

Ken Rucker

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Or do what I did. I have a Remington R-15 in 223 as a dedicated coyote hunting rifle. The others are all in 5.56.<br>
    <br>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.