1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Rifle choice for deer .270 or 25-06?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I'm going to get one of these calibers for hunting whitetail in WV what one would you pick?

2. shooter

shooter TS Member

3. Landshark

Landshark Member

I like the 270.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Both too much gun for whitetail.

25-06 will ruin a lot of meat if the shot is off a little. The 308 based calibers are better IMO. Our best performer has been a 257 Roberts, followed closely by .308.

If (doubtful) I were to use another I would try the 7mm-08 or 7X57.

And finally, it seems to me that bullet selection is almost more important than which caliber you choose.

The One deer mount on my wall came from a .243 which is another good choice.

Short rounds go through a bolt gun easier. And a lot depends on where and how you hunt. Our areas do not give many shots over 100 yards.

Pick a number.

HM

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Of those 2 I'd take a 270..for the ammo availability when you are out afield and realize you forgot your cartridges..I used the old Remington 130gr Bronze Pts (a lot like todays Ballistic tips...very little damaged meat

But since I've gotten a 308 Marlin express that gives me all the range and power for anything in North America and I get to use it in my all time favorite rifle style ..a beautiful half mag style Marlin 336 lever-action in blued steel and fancy black walnut wood. Mine shoots under 1 MOA with the 160gr Lever-Evo ammo with its 2x-7x Leupold. This is now my go to for anything hog sized and up and it doesnt damage meat,.reaches targets farther than I would ever attempt to shoot and puts them down with single shot authority and so far has made 2 holes in everything...one in..one out,..the penetration impresses me every time ...plus you'll truly have a gun that as it ages takes on the look of something your kids will be proud to inherit
    calvinmd_2008_030371.jpg

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've taken over 200 deer in the UK with a .243 - always does the job, little damage to the meat...

7. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Of these two 270 would be my choice,I do like the 7mm-08 a lot in short action and it is worth a look if you want only the two mentioned 270 for ammo availability is the way to go.

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

If I had to buy one gun, it would be an '06. It is much more versatile. Bullet weights range up to 220gr, making it a better choice if you should ever hunt something bigger than deer. That said, I do like a .270 for deer, as well as a half dozen other calibers.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm with Bridgetoofar..if you open the range of possibles up a bit...Id take the 30-06..most versatile caliber on the planet bar none...104 years of things being made dead wont disagree

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

.243 will do all the deer killing you need without sacraficing a lot of the carcass. If you need anything larger, I'd say you need to learn how to shoot a little better.

I've killed a lot of deer with a .243 and they all dropped on the spot or ran less than 25 yards.

ss

11. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

what is the average range of your shots?

mc

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Calvin and Bridgetofar have got it right.

The venerable 30-06 is the best deer cartridge bar none.

When the novelty of other deer cartridges wears off, with the 30-06 you still have an excellent selection of bullet weights and styles, universal availability of ammunition and excellent on game performance.

If you come up against a 200 pound 10 pointer in heavy cover, you will be glad you are loading 180 grain Remington PSP Core Lokt's. I have taken many a deer with this round and it drops them in their tracks, even with a quartering shot.

I think that West Virginia is a lot like Kentucky where I hunt in that 100 yards is a long shot. If I hunted out west I might consider a .270 or a 7mm Rem Mag but in our neck of the woods, the 30-06 is an excellent choice.

In real heavy cover, I found the old .35 Remington in a Marlin 336 to be a great choice. It is hard to beat a lever gun for a quick second shot.

I have blood trailed many deer others shot with .243's and similar calibers. The 30-06 puts them down even with a marginal hit.

A caliber like a .35 Remington of a shotgun slug makes a big hole and the blood really comes out.

When ammo goes on sale, the 30-06 is almost always included. The 25-06 IMO will be more expensive to buy in most cases than 30-06 or .270.

My understanding is that the 30-06 outsells all other cartridges. Must be a reason for this.

Ed Ward

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

.308 with 125 gr. bullets. Light recoil, excellent accuracy and great kills!!

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Of the two cartridges, my choice would be (and is) the .25-06. If meat destruction at shorter ranges like here in Pennsylvania is a concern, use the heavier bullet weights - 115 or 117 grains. Some of the 100-grain bullets have been known to expand too violently at close range.

To be proficient with a rifle in the field, you have to first become proficient with it from the bench. The .270 Winchester isn't a hard-kicking cartridge as higher-recoiling cartridges go but it will thump you pretty good compared to a .25-06. A rifle that isn't fun to shoot at paper won't endear itself to much of that kind of shooting, thus you won't shoot it as much and won't become as familiar with it as you would a milder-recoiling one. And anything you can say about the .270's recoil you can say double about a .30-06. For the above reason, I own several .25-06s but have sold all but one of my .270s and have never purchased a .30-06. We have one but it is a rifle my son won and has never shot.

Nothing comes without drawbacks, however. Ammo for a .25-06 may not be as easy to find at a rural hardware store as shells for a .270.

Having said all that about the .25-06, I will concur with Vern - the .280 Remington is a superb cartridge. I have a .280 Ackley Improved that McGowen Precision Barrels assembled for me on a Model 700BDL/DM action that puts three 140-grain Berger VLDs into .462" at 3,099fps. A .280 of any kind will recoil harder than a .25-06, however.

Ed

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Forget ammo price as a criteria- how much are you going to shoot?

Either is the answer- and both are good and more than you will need to kill a whitetail

Both are good on long range shots out west with maybe a slight nod to the 25=06

Really the answer is either-

regards from Iowa

Gene

16. jburger

jburger TS Member

Hands down its gotta be the 25-06 as I've shot this caliber for years I can testify to the fact it has got to be the MOST versatile caliber out there right now. Example: if you handload
    1) You can load a 120 grn nosler partition works great on Deer!
    2) Load up a 85 grn nosler ballistic tip and shoot varmints all day with very light recoil.

If you can't load remington was making a "Extended Range" factory load with a 122 grn core-loc that worked good for me, put one on my wall with that.

Wincheste makes a 90 grn "positive expanding point" that will flat out destroy
    anything from prairie dogs to coyotes!

Good luck and go with the 25-06!!

Jeremy

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I have a .25-06 that I've hardly shot, and have my son's .270 in the safe. Both are excellent deer/antelope rifles, and I would not hesitate to use either of them. The rifle I've killed all of my deer, elk, and antelope with over the last fifteen years is my Ruger #1 in .280. Almost all of them were killed with Nosler 140 gr partition bullets; almost all of them were killed with one shot, at ranges from 70 yards in the woods to 340 yards on the prairies. The .270 with 130/150 grain bullets is for all practical purposes the same as the .280 with 140 gr, and the same can be said for the .25-06 with 120 gr bullets. I don't consider any of the three to be hard kickers. I've shot a deer or two with a .30-06, and bought one for my nephew a few years ago. He shot one deer and one elk with it on hunts with me, and it did fine. It doesn't kick much harder than the .270/.25-06, but does not shoot quite as flat as either.

The world is full of fine deer cartridges. I don't think I've ever shot a .243, but have killed many deer and antelope with my 6 mm Remington, and one with my .257 Roberts, which are pretty much the same as the .243. Ammunition availability should not be much of a concern, especially if you handload. I've never used anywhere near a box of ammo on a hunt. Usually it is only a cartridge or two. The first concern should be good shot placement, followed closely by adequate bullet construction. The particular cartridge you use is really pretty minor.

18. ABH

ABH Member

The 308 Winchester or 7mm-08 will take any deer in WV. A short action and 22" barrel is all you need in the mountains of WV. The 308 is a more accurate round than the 30-06. Military snipers use the 308 routinely for 1000 yd kills. There is a reason for this fact. Keep the gun as lite as possible, you will come to apperciate it over time.

ART H.

19. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Either one is ok.

The caliber is only as good as the person pulling the trigger. If you can't hit your target, doesn't matter how big or small you go in caliber selection.

My personal choice is the 257 Roberts. Nasty if you don't put the bullet in the right place!

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

The deer doesn't care.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.