1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Remington XP-100 opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I just committed to buy an XP-100 from a private seller. It is the XP-100R-KS model in .223 Remington. This version has a Model 700-style action with a swept-back bolt handle instead of the Model 600-style action with an S-shaped bolt handle of most XPs. It has a 14.5" barrel, five-shot blind magazine and a gray rear-grip Kevlar stock. This particular model was only offered through Remington's Custom Shop. Twelve or so years ago, I was really hot for an XP-100 in this exact variation but thought they were too expensive and really lost interest as the prices started escalating after production of them ceased.

This particular gun has a low Harris bipod and a Burris 3-12x 32mm scope. It was purchased new by the seller in 1998, the last year of XP-100 production and the only year this variant was made, and is supposed to have been fired less than 300 times. In the photos of it I've seen, it appears like new and comes with its original box and all papers.

My three year-old Blue Book of Gun Values has its maximum value at $850 but I've not seen a nice one being sold for under $1,000 and an XP-100 collector, in whose interests it is to run the values up, recently told me that $1,200 is not out of line for the premium models like this one.

I'm paying $799 plus $20 shipping - your thoughts? Anything I should be aware of with this gun?

Ed

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Call Shyda! Your buddy Robin has one on consignment for sale there!!

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

The XP-100 used a single shot model 600 action, we used several of them to build benchrest guns. Found the pistol to be extremely accurate at 100 yards off a rest.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cool guns. And accurate. Ironic Remington got out of that market just as more interest was coming form varmint and coyote hunters.

5. mirage1

mirage1 Member

I don't know much about rifles but I know some about the blue book.
    The blue book is a guide-not the know all end all on prices.
    If you check shotguns in some cases they are way out of line.

Joe

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They are a different breed- if that is what you wanted- you got a good deal-- depends to a degree on the barrel condition but they can easily be rebarreled

They are a cool gun

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The gun alone is worth the price. The high quality Burris is a huge plus. The price is right for the combo.

8. Brian in Oregon

re - Bluebook. The prices do not reflect geographical differences in interest. For example, few out west would care for an Atlantic Flyway version of an 1100. Nor is there much interest in a Marlin in 35 Remington out here.

9. AveragEd

No Fred, I just saw a beat-up one at one of the gun shows I visited lately and it reminded me how much I wanted one maybe ten years ago but thought the price on the rear-grip ones with the Kevlar stock was more than I wanted to spend, so I just bought more barrels for my Contender.

Two weeks ago, I was shooting my Contender at Mechanicsburg's rifle range with a guy with an XP-100 and something started itching. Then last Thursday, I for some reason went on GunsAmerica and looked for XP-100s. There were 13 listed, 12 of which were not the version I wanted or were rough. The decent ones were a grand or more except this one and it was exactly what I wanted. I called, we talked and I bought it. The URL to it is too long for the space above so I'll paste it here: http://www.gunsamerica.com/912044213/Guns/Pistols/Remington-Pistols-XP-100/Rem_XP_100R_Custom_Repeater.htm. I printed the GA ad and showed it to an XP-100 fan who is a tad on the tight side this morning - he told me I stole this one.

Back in the day, I wanted one in 6mm BR, 7mm BR or even 7mm-08, but now the idea of a calmer-shooting .223 has more appeal, as groundhogs are the biggest thing it will be pointed at. My 14" Contender will put five shots into an inch at 100 yards from a bench with either its .223 or 7mm T/C-U barrel, both of which have 4x Leupolds, and everyone tells me that XPs are more accurate. With a Leupold 2-8x on it, this might do even better than I'm doing with my fixed 4-powers.

Anyone interested in that Burris 3-12x? From experience, I know that I can't quite hold a 3x scope steady enough offhand or even with the gun braced against my leg but I can handle 2x. With the 4x Leupolds, I have to have a solid rest - offhand is out of the question.

Ed

10. SX12

SX12 Member

I would be interested in the Burris scope. Would have a 2x7 Burris if you're interested in that.
    Lee Searle

11. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have an XP 100 R in .223 that was made into a rifle. They attached a permanent muzzle brake to make the 16 inch minimum and put the action into a McMillan Kevlar stock. The result is a tack driving little rifle that weighs less than four pounds with a Weaver 4 to 16 X 42 scope on it. Also, when shooting the gun, the scope stays on target during recoil. It is a hoot to shoot.

12. Brian in Oregon

223? I went with a Kel-Tec PLR-16 for handgunning coyotes. Wanted a faster followup shot than a bolt or single shot could give me. For varmints, though, I'd probably go with a Thompson Contender in 223. For the price of an XP-100, no matter how cool, I can get a TC and a good scope.

13. AveragEd

Thanks Jim, but I bought the gun as a keeper. Not so the scope, however, and I believe I have two people interested in it. It is a good scope but as I stated before, 2x is all I can handle without a bench and there aren't many of them in an alphafa field.

I will sell it pending verification that it is in like-new condition when the gun arrives. If it isn't, the buyer will not be obligated (it looks great in the photos but things get damaged in shipment sometimes). Please use the email address above - drop the "x" first.

MidwayUSA is getting $356 plus shipping for it - how's half-price plus shipping sound? A link to Midway's info page on it is above and I tried to get a photo to post but if one isn't there, it can be seen using the website URL link.

I'm not interested in trades on the scope. I'm going to change to a Leupold - with one exception, that's all I own.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barrel remington xp 100r

xp 100r 223