1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T remington vtr

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have a .308 VTR with a 4.5 x 14 Burris AO scope on it. Right out of the box (after cleaning the barrel) it shot under 1" at 100 yards and just over 2" at 200 yards with Black Hills 168 grain HP match ammo.

I have put about 200 rounds through it. all on the range, and I like it very much. It is a compact rifle with a triangular bull barrel. The factory trigger is very smooth and crisp and it breaks at about 2 1/2 pounds (a guess). It is adjustable but I am happy just the way it is. Recoil is very manageable.

I am reloading a 150 grain Remington PSP Core Lokt bullet (as I bought a 500 pack from Midway) and 41 grains of IMR 4895. 5 shot groups are about 1 " but sometimes I get a group with all holes touching.

It is not a bench rest gun but it is very accurate. With a 24 x Leupold and a little work on cartridge overall length, I bet that it will shoot near .5 MOA.

Anyway, I like it for playing around with on the range. If I still deer hunted, it would be my rifle of choice. I used to use a Remington 30-06 700 BDL for deer but the little VTR really carries nice.

The .308 is also a great chambering.

Ed Ward

2. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 Member

Go with the 22-250 for varmints. It is probably the best all around varmint caliber there is. The .223 is a good choice too, the wide spread availability and price of ammo is a big plus but it doesn't quite have the punch at 400 plus yds that the 22-250 does. All depends on the hunting situations you will be in. Here in the mid west shots on running coyotes will range from 5-500 yards so we need all the gun we can get. If your in brush country 2-300 is more likly your limit and the .223 would be fine. Don't get me wrong you can make long shots with a .223 but at long range ther is no sub for kinetic energy

pumpgunner

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My pal Dave got one, it shoots in the same hole. I would get it in 204 if I added another rifle to my collection, I would need a weatherproof case for it so I could keep it in the doghouse along side me if I bought it.

HM

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I wonder how it would fair going head to head with the Savage FP-10 in 308?

5. Brian in Oregon

The Savage FP10 in 308 is a real sleeper for accuracy.

6. Brian in Oregon

And for smaller calibers, the Savage predator Hunter in 204, 223, 22-250 and 243 is also very accurate. I posted a thread here about my son who called his shot - saying he was going to put the bullet behind the ear - on a trotting coyote at 175 yards, and he did it with his 223 Predator Hunter.

7. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Savage Varmint & Tacticle guns run circles round the Remingtons. I have 2 FP10s in .223 and regularly shoot 400 yds, even to 600 yds, but that said the .22-250 & .220 swift have more punch that far out.
    Your loads & knowing where it shoots is the main thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.