1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T-Remington R1 1911 .45 (Feedback- Pros/Cons)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I was less than impressed.. I build 1911's.. As just a shooter.. OK.. anything serious where accuracy mattered..NOT.. They are designed with the plan to spend as little time fitting anything.. and still be safe.. To that.. they've done well.. It's basically a sloppy gun.. Now.. it can be made better with work.. a few better parts.. time and money.. Personally.. I wouldn't waste my money.. I think you'd be ahead of the game buying a used COLT 1911 series 70..and going from there..

All Good.. Mike

2. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

While I have not shot one, I have handled, disassembled and inspected one. For what they charge (MSRP around $650 I believe), it is - in my estimation - a pretty good buy. While I'm not keen on the standard sights (and the gun is so new that nobody is yet making any after-market replacement sights - as of 11/1), in just about every other area, I wouldn't hesitate to put it up against an entry-level Kimber (and for all anybody knows - since they're made in the U.S. - that's who's making them). If I were going to buy a new stock 1911 for non-competitive use, I would go with the Remington or the Taurus. Just my $0.02...your mileage may vary. -J.F. Wolfington, Killadelphia, Pennsylvania

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Had some good write up in gun magazines

I agree about colts though- I think they are great platforms to either shoot or use

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Gene, not to pick a fight, but there are few gun magazine reviews that I trust. Latest example: I saw no less than 4 glowing articles on the Remington 105 CTI auto shotgun--a couple of them from guys that have been around quite a while

That said, my entry level Kimber 1911 that I bought in the late 90's was accurate and reliable right out of the box.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There used to be a publication called gun tests- they didnt take any advertising and I dont know what happened to them but I did find their publication and reviews useful

Lots of good and lots of intersting 1911 platforms out there arent there?

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I take no advertising dollars.. if you build a good house.. you know what goes into a good house.. Next year at the GRAND.. I'll look at their 1911 again.. If it looks any better.. or worse.. I'll be glad to let you know what I see.. Really.. it's not rocket science..

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've been very satisfied with mine. Its no Baer but works well. Decently accurate. I've only swapped out the short trigger and put in a caspian ambi safety.

As my Gold Cup also needed, a bit of smoothing here and there a little sear polishing and tweaking of the barrel bushing it shoots well.

Street price as always much less than msrp...

Jim

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The 2 I saw.. A better fitting barrel bushing.. slightly longer link..good trigger job.. and the rails fitted better..and it would be a good shooter.. not great.. but a very OK pistol.. As is.. it's just a shooter.. I'm sure it shoots fine.. but $75.00 in parts.. and about 3 or 4 good hours of work.. it could be ALOT better.. I offered to fit the slide better while I was at the GRAND.. but they said NO.. that's what people got..out the box..

I was told they are considering making a better fitted pistol.. with all the new upgrades..better sights.. etc... but not yet..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pros and cons of remington r1 enhanced 1911