1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Remington 1100 expertise requested

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by buddy123, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

I would like to purchase a small frame 20 gauge Rem. 1100.
    There seem to be two choices in the used market.
    One is the LW-20 gauge the other is the LT- 20 gauge.
    Would anyone here be kind enough to explain the differences between the two models? Are barrels interchangable?
    Thanks.
    Pete Giddings- Canada

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

There is a difference, but I don't know more than that. I wish I did. I would like to read what others know.

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

If memory serves me correctly the LT-20 is a more recent version of the gun. I do know that some of the older guns which were termed as a LW-20 but that was many years ago ... like back in the late 70's or early 80's.

I would suggest you get an LT-20 since they are newer guns. You are aware that you can call Remington with the serial number (if you have it) and they can tell you some specifics on the gun.

4. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

The "LW" designation is from the 70/80's. I own an 870 Wingmaster 20 ga "LW"
    that I purchased new in 1975.

5. onthe$

onthe$ TS Member

the main difference between the two guns is that the LW model has a shorter reciever then the lt-20. other then that they are mostly the same gun thought the barrels are not able to be swithed. joe

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The number I have for Remington is: 1-800-243-9700.

Rollin

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

The barrels are definitely not interchangeable. I have tried to get other barrels for my 870 20 ga LW and could not use std ones.

I just looked at my LW and the receiver does not appear shorter......could you post the measurements of the differnet receivers.

Jim C

8. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

I am pretty sure the LW only came with real short barrels, remchoke. The LT (older version) came originally with non remchoke barrels and 26-28" and maybe later models had remchokes. Also think LW's were available in straight grip stocks and had a short magazine for like 3 shots max.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The LW series are going to be a bear to find parts for. Get the LT-20.

10. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

Thanks to all who have helped so far.

Rollin......I did call that number and got a bit of useful data:
    The LW seems to be older...1970-1977
    The LT seems to have started in 1977 do not know when it was stopped.

Coach........You are correct about the parts .... Remington advised that LW parts are obsolete !!

Pete Giddings- Canada

11. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I do know, but don't remember which ones this was but the 1100 20 gage was at one time built on the 12 gage frame back sometime ago. Not only that but the 870 Wingmaster frame was built on the 10 gage frame also back sometime ago. Which ones of these I don't exactly remember either. Rich. (inPeoria, Az.)

12. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I purchased my 870 20 ga LW in 1975. It has a 28" barrel and fixed modified choke. I don't recall any Remingtons coming with choke tubes back then, but I could be wrong.

Jim C

13. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

The 1100 20 LW was made prior to 1977. If you pull the barrel on a LW the portion that fits inside the receiver is about an inch or so long on a later LT gun that portion will be about 3 inches long. Barrels for the LW are hard to find especially with a rib. Also the LW 20's usually had a mahogany stock.

14. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

pduryee

You are correct...my 20 ga 870 LW has a mahogany stock and a ventillated rib barrel. I have kept this gun because I have not seen many around. It is about 95% condition. I wonder what it is worth....

Jim C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.