1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Remingting 541 .22 Rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SShooterZ, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I'm thinking of shooting more rimfire as its fun and cheap. Was reading good things about the 541 rimfires from Remington and was curious to know what the folks around here know about them. Does anyone have one sitting in the closet or safe they're looking to move? Any other suggestions for a decent medium priced .22?

As always, thanks for the input.

2. oz

oz Active Member

had a 541s. it was a tackdriver. don't shoot 22's much just shotguns. oz

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

SShooterZ,

If you get a chance to shoot a one of the CZ bolt action 22's you wont be disapointed. Very nice shooter for the money! I have shot some 22's that cost a lot more that didn't shoot as well.

ec90t

4. mobear

mobear Member

I have a savage mark II with the laminated stock, it is a tack driver, and costs less than the remington.

5. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Nice to here about the 541. Mirrors what I've read.

I'm looking at the CZ too ec90t. I think they're great bang for the buck. I wish they made a Full Stock w/o permanent sites. Might look at a varmint model too.

I found a Savage Mark II for $199 in 17HM2 but I can't sell myself on the caliber just yet. How is the trigger on your Mark II?

6. TomB

TomB Member

SshooterZ....I have one. It's marked 541-T, but a sporter weight. I had to glass bed the action because the hole for the bedding screws were larger than the screws, so the action would kinda rotate in the stock. Once I did that, it became extremely accurate with Fed Gold target shells. Also, probably a nickel sized group at 50yds with Win hunting shells. TomB p.s. Not for sale

7. mobear

mobear Member

my mark II has a very crisp trigger, no slop, not sure of pull weight but it is very good.

At 50 yards I can shoot a group I can cover with a nickle, shooting cci blazer 22's

I think the 17 cal rimfire rounds are a waste, cost to much, and not worth it.

8. Robb

Robb Member

I had 541T and liked it except for the clip. Seemed a little cheap and was not flush. Traded for 10/22 Target and like it better. I think the Ruger trigger is better { i know that is hard to believe } but the mag holds ten vs. five. It just ticked me off the Remington would make such a nice gun that shot well but used a junk mag. That said the 541 is a very nice gun.
    The 541 that I had liked the CCI Green Tag pretty well if you go that way.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lots of good ones out there, Anschutz is tops.

Except for my Kimber. Maybe.

Anyway, the above URL will take you to a mountain of rimfire info.

If you are forced by economics to buy low on the totem pole, get an accutrigger Savage. Preferably with a laminated stock.

For a squirrel gun, a Marlin 39A is hard to beat.

One more thing: usually the hot loads-Viper, Stinger, Wildcat, etc are not all that accurate, standard velocity seems to work better.

HM

10. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

541T is an excellent rifle. The budget priced 581 (my first .22) is almost as good, with plain wood, a thinner barrel and the magazine release is a thin metal tab rather than a spring loaded plastic button like the 541T

My 581 is a tack driver, too. That reminds me, I need to unbury it from the back of the vault - it deserves a range session.

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

My 541-S shoots better than I can ! Jeff

12. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Great info, I knew I could count on the TS.com folks...

I didn't know the 581 was such a fine shooter, I'll have to look at those too.

I'm not really constrained by cost as I just sold a bunch of guns but I can't see spending too much on a rimfire that will see a lot of range time. I have seen the Anschutz and Kimbers, shot them both, fine guns, but seems to be a lot of money for a "plinker". I did shoot a Browing Model 52 that I thought was sweet but even those are some serious coin these days.

For some reason though, I'm not attracted to the 10/22. Looks like you can go crazy with them but they don't have those "classic" looks for me. Hence the reason I don't like the plastic stocked guns either.

I've read a lot on RFC but I wanted opinions from other shooters who might be a but more objective in their opinions.

Anyone shoot a Winchester 75 or a Remington 513?

13. halfmile

"dollar value" is probably best with the CZ. The 453 American with set trigger is damn nice.

I would have their high power varmint rifle if it wan't a controlled round Mauser type action. (Not condusive to single shot use, you have to load the box.)

HM

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

No knock on the Remington but I love my Ruger 77/22 Varmint in .22LR. Using the Wolf "Match Target" brass cased ammo, I can shoot 5 shot groups under 1" at 100 yards (when using a 16 X scope) and when there is no wind.

Whatever rifle you buy, check out the Wolf .22 target ammo. It is priced at about $3.00 for 50 and more for the higher "Match Extra" grade. It is made in Germany by the company that used to make the .22 target ammo for the Russian Olympic team. It shoots well in my other Ruger rifles also.

15. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I have a CZ550 American in .22-250 that I use for single shot at the range all the time. DAMN accurate gun and you're right, great trigger!

Good tip on the WOLF ammo. I never would have thought of them.

16. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

The 581 is quite accurate, with a scope on mine and within 5 - 6 rounds, could drive the nails out of the target backboard at 50yds. Its funny to see but the range officer didn't like it much.

As for accurate .22 ammo, the best brand is what will shoot the tightest groups in YOUR gun. It could be anything from Lapua and Ealy to the cheapest Aguilla and like patterning, you have to try them until you find something that works. I got lucky with my .22 pistol (I'm also a bullseye shooter), I could practice with Aguilla and get acceptable results but when it came to competition I would change to CCI- Standards for the sub 1" 50yd groups. I didn't have to go to the expensive stuff.

Mike

17. halfmile

Where can I get Wolf? Nearest place I found was Ohio. I'm in Wis.

HM

18. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I have an older 541S and it is very accurate. It will shoot 1/2 inch or less groups with most HV ammo. It really likes eley 10X, It will put them into one ragged hole at 50 yds. It is my favorite tree rat sniper rifle.

PS: There is no way a ruger factory trigger can even come close the quality of a 541S trigger.

Jim

19. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

I have had a 541T since 1988. Shoots better than any other .22 that I have owned.

The two words in your post that might change your mind about buying one are
    "medium priced".

I was very happy to see the prices on GunsAmerica and Gun broker go thru the roof in the last year. A starting price for a 98% rifle with box is around $500.00

There is a 541S in the Gun Digest/Gun List for $475.00, 98% with dings in wood.
    701-799-1370
    The S models usually bring more than the T's. A Little fancier..GL

AJ100

20. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

PS. You want to know how well they shoot? I sold mine in 1997(iron heavy,cash poor) and it took me two years to get it back from the guy. I offered to pay him more than he paid me. We shot together at the same club. Hunted together a few times. Had a beer once in a while after the shoot was over. Known the guy for 20 years.

HE WOULDN'T SELL IT BACK TO ME. Said it shot to well.

I guess I bugged him enough and he sold it back, same price. Now thats a shooting buddy.

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.