1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T reloading 22-250 ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I reload my own 22-250 but a friend of mine asked me to reload some shells for his next pdog hunt. He wants to duplicate the Hornady VX not moly 55 Grain cartridge. This would be no problem if I could find out what powder they use at the factory. I have shot many types of powder in my gun but its a custom that I have had for 35 years. I know my pet loads. He has always shot this 700 bull barrel Rem 1 in 10 twist with factory ammo and this brand works for him. How can I find out what powder the factory uses? Any of you gents shot that same gun and have a pet load that I can use if we do not find out the answer to what he wants.
    BTW I purchased one box of VX by Hornady so I can pull one and get the grains but I would not be able to look at the powder and tell squat. Will shooting moly coated bullets if only done a few times screw up your barrel in any way? I know this was a controversy and I purchased them before I knew about any problem.
    Thnks for any help

2. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

I recommend: Just use Varget powder as available. I had great results with that powder and V-Max 55 grain bullets. Also, you may consider calling (toll free) the Bulletsmith at Sierra Bullets; those guys stay on top of all developments. Also consult the Precision Shooting's Accurate Reloading Syllabus. No need to try and duplicate something when you can do just as well with proven reloads.

The beauty of Varget is its tolerance for differing ambient temperatures which can be a real safety factor in arid areas during the summer.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In your case I would load for the velocity of the pet load described. Any differences would be so tiny as to be imperceptible escept to high level benchrest shooters.

Barrel twist and velocity make RPM, and if you make the bullet perform comparably the results will be comparable.

The final necessity may be side by side Chronograph testing.

HM

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Varget, Benchmark, and 4895 are your best candidates on your quest.

HM

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Don't forget the new IMR 4007SC powder. I tried it recently and had excellent results. It's a short cut powder, so it meters well from powder measures. It fals between IMR4064 and IMR4350 in burn rate. They list a load of 39 grains behind a 55 grain bullet at 3786fps. I was WAY more conservative than that load and found the best accuracy in my rifle at under 3500fps. Please double check your data and work the load up, looking for signs of excess pressure. I started low and stopped when accuracy started to fall off. I never got close to the maximum listed loads and had no indication of excessive pressures either.

I've recently used Varget as well, with great results. H380, IMR4895, H4895, and a host of other powders have served very well. I have had great accuracy at considerably less than the maximum loads. The classic load of 38 grains of H380 behind a 55 grain bullet is sometimes hard to beat. It's also the starting load listed by Hodgdon at nearly 3500fps.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

36gr IMR4064

7. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I like Varget too.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I like WW760. Even though 748 is suggested for 223, I use 760 in both the 223 and the 22-250 with 55 gr bullets.<br>
    <br>
    I won't publish my 22-250 load. I don't resize the case. I only neck size them, since at present I'm only firing them in one rifle.

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Another vote for Varget.

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

It has been a long time since I was on top of this, but are you sure the rifle has 1 in 10 twist!? God, I must be getting senile! Tom Rhoads

11. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

I called Hornady & asked them on the 204 Ruger 32 gr VMAX & the guy told me they used Win 748 & 26 gr. it suprised me when he gave that info up?
    So it don't hurt to ask them
    Thanks
    JR

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A 1 in 10 twist sounds a bit fast for the 22-250. It would probably work better with the heavier bullets. 1 in 12 or 14 is customary and more common in the 22-250.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Varget is great and meters well enough to be charged by volume. (important if you are loading lots of ammo). My all time favorite .22-250 load is a 52 g Berger over 38.2 g of H380. Not very original but it shoots great in my guns.

14. darr

darr Well-Known Member

H380 or 4064.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

22-250 varget