1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Rejuvenating Ni/Cad batteries

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Haskins Bill, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Some time ago there was a thread about rejuvenating Ni/Cad batteries. I tried a search and just got frustrated. If I remember correctly it involved hooking two 12 volt batteries in series and then 'sparking' the Ni Cad battery. I am refering to the types used in a drill or such, not litle ones for cameras. I remember the part about there being little 'hairs' that form inside the battery and by sparking them it more or less burns them off and then the battery will take and hold a full charge.I don't remember what polarity to use, that is if the 24 volts goes poitive to the negative on the Ni Cad or the other way around. Anyone remember the post. Thanks in advance Bill

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

yes you can, but it is not worth the trouble, it was done in the past using a large capacitor (also know as a condenser), charge the capacitor using a 12v or so battery and then discharging into the bad cell, it would as you said burn the hairs off, but it could also explode.. you would have to do this to each cell in the pack, all the time knowing it was only a temporary fix.. best advise is to go to some place like a Batteries Plus store, and have the pack rebuilt the right way, and a big plus is that newer cells have a have higher capacitance (for longer life)…Grubby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rejuvinating ni cad batteries