1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Rehandle a spinning rod

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dynokick189, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

My favorite Browning carbon spinning rod's cork handles are finally falling apart. I need to get it re-corked.

Has anyone had any experience with either doing this, or having it done? Is it expensive? Does anyone know of a person in the U.P. who can do this??

I suspect there are sites like T.S.Com for fishermen, but unlike trapshooters, most of them are liars (snicker, snicker). Don't know if I'd get good advice there.

I've got a heavy cardboard tube I could use to send this off if I can't find anyone local.

Any hope would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Do a google search on rod building. There are sites that discuss it and suppliers of materials. I have recorked many rods and it is a simple job. I put in one site so you can get an idea.

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Mike, just another possibility,depending on how bad the cork is, would be to wrap the handle with a pro wrap. Handled by Cabela's, Bass Pro and other tackle stores. About 4.00 would do your handle. I have them on all of my bass fishing rods. Steve

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Mike:

It can be done.

I have built approximately 20 – 25 rods over the years for personal use and for gifts. I have also re-handled several older Shakespeare casting rods that belonged to my dad.

I enjoy building rods because you can make exactly the rod you want from selected quality components. It is a time intensive process. Years ago, you could save a considerable sum over a custom rod but the savings are not as great today. Cabela’s Fish Eagle II rods are excellent rods at a good price and are made in China. They were once USA made and were more costly, at least in relative dollars.

Most of my supplies have come from Cabela’s Tackle Craft catalogue. Jann’s Netcraft also sells rod building supplies and has a catalogue. I would make a toll free call to each and request a catalogue.

Cabela’s contact information is as follows:

1-800-237-4444 and www.cabelas.com

Netcraft’s contact information is as follows:

1-800-638-2723 and www.jannsnetcraft.com

With a good quality rod like a Browning (Silaflex?), you want to preserve the sensitivity of a strike that is transmitted from the rod blank, through the handle and into your hand. That being said, here is what you are up against with a spinning rod.

In most modern spinning rods, the blank extends through the entire length of the handle and is tapered from the smaller tip to the larger butt. When the handle is assembled, the bottom grip is first slid onto the blank from the narrow end and is pushed to the wide end of the blank. Then, graphite spacers, which go between the reel seat and the blank, are slid down the blank and the reel seat is slid down over the graphite spacers. Finally, the top grip is slid down the blank to complete the handle. I cut, measure, fit and trim all components to size and assemble the handle “dry” before I prepare the fast drying epoxy rod cement that holds it together.

One difficulty that you will have in re-handling your rod is that you will be working from wide end instead of the narrower tip. If the blank is not of an extreme taper, i.e., the diameter of the blank above the handle is not too much smaller than the diameter of the blank at the butt, you may be able to assemble the handle from the wider butt end and simply use more epoxy to hold all the pieces together.

My suggestion is to call Cabela’s and request a Tackle Craft catalogue. I would also ask them for a copy of their rod building instructions. They have handle kits, handle parts and all manner of guides, blanks, winding checks, thread, glue, etc.

Handle kits come preformed but you will need a couple of small round files to shape the inside of the cork grip and graphite arbors to fit the blank.

Once you see what is involved, you can decide what you want to do.

Good luck.

PS – If the rod is old and not of sentimental value, a new rod with an IM6 or IM7 quality blank would be a much more sensitive and enjoyable rod with which to fish.

PPS: I have never used Pro Wrap as I like cork grips but here is a link.

http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=023641

5. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

As another former rod-builder, School Teacher is entirely correct. Since this is apparently a graphite rod, you can probably build up the taper with thread to make it more nearly parallel before sliding the new grip on from the butt. Being somewhat profligate with the epoxy will ensure that the thread becomes merely a filler and not a part of the actual fastening of the grip to the blank.

There are LOTS of places to get rod components. Just do a web search on 'rod building' and see what comes up. I'll warn you, though, that if you are seriously into fishing (I gave it up; shooting is much more rewarding), then rod building can get somewhat addictive. You can't save much on run-of-the-mill rods, but when you start thinking about crafting a rod 'just so' when nobody offers it quite that way, you are hooked (so to speak).

It's not hard. It is somewhat exacting, and a magnifying desk lamp is awfully helpful, but it's mostly time-consuming.

And catching a trophy fish on a rod you've built yourself feels incredible.

Tony

6. Dynokick189

Dynokick189 TS Member

WOW!!

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll try to get the materials and tackle this one. I've e-mailed Jans' and never got the catalogue - guess I'll call them.

I've got some time to do this project. Right now, even the 1 oz spoons are still bouncing off the top of the ice, so I won't be fishing for a while!!!

This is my Boundary Water's rod and it gets a lot of use and abuse, but it feels soooo gooood when I get a strike.

Thanks again youse guys!!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.