1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Reducing a photo size - compression

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ahab, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Best bet is Photoshop! Either full version or thier "lite" version.

I have never used the "lite" version becuase I have the full version.

The good part of Photoshop is once you learn to use it ...you can also correct your pics by lightening, darkening, adjust the colors, remove things from the pic or add in things.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager, its a snap.

Open the photo in Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

Select "Picture"

Then "Compress Picture" from the menu.

A window will open on the right of the screen that gives you three compression options. One for documents, one for web pages, and one for e-mail.

Choose one of the three options and click "OK"

If you like it that way you can save it, or if you want to keep the original file, do "save as" and give it a different file name.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Good advice...

I purchased Photoshop Elements many years ago and it fits my needs. The program has saved more than a few photos that were unreadable. Over 6000 photos posted in 2008. I post everything at 72dpi. Most any modern photo program will do what needs to be done.

If you don't like the program that came with your camera or the photo program that comes with your computer here is a free program that loads fast and used by many.

http://www.irfanview.com/index.htm

For doing one photo you can try a free on-line program such as this.

http://www.webresizer.com/resizer/

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Be aware that jpeg is a "lossy" photo compression format.<br>
    <br>
    "Lossy" means it loses data when compressed, as opposed to a lossless format.<br>
    <br>
    When saving in jpeg format, a dialogue box usually comes up that asks, on a sliding scale, how much compression you want to give a photo. The more compression, the more data that is lost. The less compression, the less data that is lost.<br>
    <br>
    This data loss can render the resulting photo as "blocky", and can drastically alter colors. A simple test is to create a pure red image in Microsoft Paint and save it as a bitmap (bmp). Then save it again as a jpeg. Then compare the two reds. The bitmap, which is a lossless format, will be a brilliant red. The jpeg will appear to be more of a brick red. This is why some websites, for cdata and color integrity, use bitmaps for images, even though the files are huge when compared to the size of a jpeg. This is also why professional photographers and advanced amateurs prefer to use tiff or raw to save original images in their digital cameras, instead of using jpeg.<br>
    <br>
    Wikipedia has a pretty decent explanation of jpeg, though their writeup also has a lot of technical math.<br>
    <br>
    Does this mean you should not use jpeg? Not in the least. Just understand its limitations. Especially if you want to use a stored image that was highly compressed in jpeg format to make a large size wall print. You probably won't like the result. Important images or those that you want to make enlargements or consider to be heirlooms should be stored in a lossless format or at least using minimal jpeg compression.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I use Picsizer.

It's a freebie.....

Works great.

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.