1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T- Recommendations for a mill.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sgt. Mike, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I'm considering the purchase of a mill for doing some home gun repair. I would like some recommendations for a home type of mill. I need just the basics and nothing produced in China or Taiwan. Preferrably Made In The USA. Thank you in advance. Michael

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

There are a lot of really good mills produced in Taiwan under the Bridgewood name. The website link above will help if you want "new" and "US-made".

Morgan

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Find a Bridgeport and you'll be happy. I'm using one made in 1964 and it does everything I could ever need to do.

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Maybe the Chinks think we're too stupid to tell the difference between Bridgeport and Bridgewood...

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'll third or fourth the Bridgeport idea. I used several of their models when I was a tool and die maker. Good stuff. Made in Connecticut. I passed on an opportunity to buy an old one for $100, because i had no way to move it. If any of the toll and die shop[s in your area still have them, they may give one to you for a song just to be rid of it.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

If it has to be USA made, Bridgeport is the one to get.

Do a search on e-bay for bridgeport milling machine. There is several listed.

Jim

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

What the hell is a mill? Jake

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A mill is like a drill press on steroids....A LOT OF STEROIDS!!

9. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Ed,

We live in Bevier so I would say we are close. I don't exactly know when I will be ready. TS.com has provided a lot of great information, as usual. It's amazing how trapshooters are so knowledgable on a variety of subjects.

To everyone, thank you very much. It's interesting, as noted above, how the companies in China and Taiwan are using names similar to those we are familiar with. Thanks again. Sgt. Mike

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Go for the Bridgeport. If it has a power feed you might consider renderning it inoperative unless you are an experienced machinist.

Since this is a tool thread, anyone out there have or know where I can buy a decent Drill press? I need a benchtop with a tight spindle. Most of this China stuff is junk. A small model would do. A decent line shaft conversion is OK also. Thanks Gerald

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

AIR, Delta makes some nice small drill presses.
    Also, look at mcmaster.com for some bench drill presses, as well as an interesting drilling/milling machine for $1500.(may not be USA-made, though)

12. highrib

highrib Member

Michael,

You may try this website. Search machines,then milling machines,then vertical milling machines. Machine tool dealers from all over country. You may also look at Wells/Index. Not quite as user friendly as Bridgeport but you can probably save a few bucks and still get a quality US made machine.www.machinetools.com

Billy Wood

13. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Smithy makes a nice 3 in 1 unit for the do it your selfer. Combination lathe-mill-Drill. Headquartered in Ann Arbor MI. Not sure where they are made though.

Jeff

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Ebay has a lot of Bridgeport mills most of them are J heads staring around $1,250.00 For this one.

Transportation is another matter.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.