1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O.T. Recommend rifle cartridge loader?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by IM390, Oct 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IM390

IM390 Member

My brother the rifle cartridge loader is moving away shortly, keeping therest of us in ammo for the last 20 some years. Looks like I will have to start loading my own using my own equipment. Anyone have suggestions on which manufaturer's equipment to buy? My brother uses RBCS and others I know use Horniday and Lee. I plan to load .270 and 30.06 for target and whitetail. Suggestions?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A good single stage press is the standard for bottle neck cartridges. As a beginner or low volume shooter, forget the progressives.

RCBS makes lifetime presses, the RS-5, or the Rock Chucker. RCBS dies are hard to beat, and work well, last forever.

The Lee manual is one of the best books to buy for the new loader. They tend to be biased toward Lee products. LOL

LEARN THE CONCEPT OF HEADSPACE!!!!!

I have been using RCBS products since the 1950's, and have had flawless service from that company. I have RCBS dies from the 60's that work like new. My RCBS Auto Priming tool is about 45 years old, still works like new. I am on my third RCBS Rock Chucker press, when the ram wore the frame out on my first two, they were replaced with a new press at no charge. I have loaded a few metallic cartridges in my day.

Are you loading for turnbolt guns or other types? Using once-fired brass from your rifles, or getting brass fired in other guns?

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Another vote for RCBS.

Use the Rock Chucker, mine is so old I forget when I bought it. At least 40 years, maybe more.

I load around 4 thousand shells a year.

HM

4. oz

oz Active Member

fot single stage ie: if you load 100 a week or less I like the Bonanza. If you need a progressive, the Hornady lock & load (you get 1000 free bullets too) oz

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme and their competition grade dies if they are available in your caliber.

6. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Or perhaps an AmmoMaster. It's probably overkill for most cartridges, but if it won't handle whatever you're reloading, you probably don't need to be reloading it.

There's one on eBay at the moment. I got mine that way as a step-up from a Redding Boss, which is also a decent press.

Stay with an iron frame in a single-stage.

Tony

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

RCBS rock Chucker. It will load anything. I have 2. One is set up for .223 and the other is set up for .308. Bulge.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I suppose it all depends on volume. For shotshells I load thousands per year, hundreds in a session, and use a Dillon. For metallic I load in the low dozens per year and use an RCBS - I don't remember if it is a Junior or a Rockchucker. I have partial cans of powder and partial boxes of bullets on the shelf at least thirty years old. This year is pretty typical. I was down to ten or so cartridges for my .280. I shot half a dozen from the bench to check the zero, and busted a plastic jug full of water from the sit at 200 yards with one shot for practice. Then I loaded a couple of boxes to get a reserve back. The rest of my practice is with a .22 rimfire because it is cheap. I expect that, if I'm lucky, I'll use two cartriges on my deer hunt next week and my cow elk hunt the week after, and have enough hunting rounds loaded for the next several years.

If you shoot tons of metallic, get a progressive. If not, the RCBS stuff works fine.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you will be loading for the family...get a Dillon 550B!

It will accurately load anything you want...and...quick easy caliber changes, to boot!

10. 1oz

1oz Member

RCBS Rock chucker useing same 1 for 29 years , now i am a fan of Redding type S dies

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Rockchucker since 1970

12. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

If you are after the highest quality in a reloading set up - short of custom - go Redding all the way - press, dies, powder measure etc. - in fact Redding is as good as most high dollar custom rigs.

13. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

If you are only loading those 2 calibers u have no use for a progressive press.
    If you want to make life easy reloading I would buy a Redding turret press. It was my first for loading rifle and is 40 years old and still looks new. Compare this to other ones.You can place all the dies for loading one caliber in the shell plate and keep them there.
    Then u can buy a second shell plate and place the other caliber in that one. This way u never need to adjust except for the first time.
    I have a very old one with three extra plates, I load 38/55, 40/70 sharps straight, 300 Weatherby, 38 special besides a Dillon 650.
    They have updated the new turret better than mine.
    Compare the difference between all single stage and turrets before you buy.

14. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

If money is tight, you might consider a lee challenger press or kit. You can start out for a little over $100 and buy a set of dies - with about $150 tied up youll have almost everything you'll need.
    Lee gets a bashing on here, but I've used one for years and it works great.

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A-2.. and Lyman turret..get most of my single stage work... Dillon gets the quanity..

16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Anything but Lee. Buy a used Junior or Rockchucker or a kit. Get some good instruction. PM me if you want a little article I wrote some time back on reloading and I'll mail you one. Care, caution and not trying to be fast are the key issues. Maximum loads are for maximum idiots. Accuracy comes usually somewhere less than max.

Stan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.