1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T, Recognize this air plane?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Steve W, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Spotted this beautiful flying object during sailing around Manhattan Beach, CA., can someone ID it for us? Thanks.

stevew_2008_030334.jpg

2. trench12

trench12 TS Member

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'd love to shoot those 50's from the air once.

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Just think folks, those machines were designed, built and flown without the aide of computers. While I am always awed by the magnifiance of those airplanes, my thoughts always seem to turn to the 55,000+ aircrew that never made it home, as well as those who did. God Bless then all. Jake

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They look more like 42's to me.

HM

6. ctreay

ctreay Member

My dad spent the war at an ALCOA plant makeing that Aluminum.

ctreay

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Good one HM! I likes your style. Lol.

ss

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

No artificial ingredients there.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

How 'bout this one.?!

10. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

That last one is the "Caspian Sea Monster". It's a ground effect seaplane, called an Ekranoplan.

The pictures give terrific insight into Soviet design ideas and manufacturing techniques used during the cold war.

11. chipking

chipking TS Member

That would be the Caspian Sea Monster not sure if it ever got an "official" designation.

--- Chip King ---

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Hey stokinpls could you go ahead and translate that article for us?

13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Hard to believe that Russian plane ever got off the ground.

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

it's not really a plane, it's a ship interceptor. it just scooted across the water really fast and looked really intimidating

15. chipking

chipking TS Member

Actually it did "fly" It used the principle of ground effect (you know that magic that keeps pushing a plane back up as it is trying to land)to travel at several hundred knots just a few feet off of the water. A whole lot of forward thinking for the 60's and 70's for anyone let alone the Russians.

--- Chip King ---

16. brownk80

brownk80 Member

The B-17 bears the tail ID for the 398th Bomb Group, which flew out of Nuthampstead, about 30 miles north of London and 10 miles south of Cambridge.

17. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

BrownK80, how did you read the tail number from that photo? LOL Jake

18. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Jake, not the tail number but rather the Group tail insignia. There was another picture which isn't there now but I believe it was a Triangle W, which when I looked it, up was for the 398th Bomb Group. They use Squares, Circles and Triangles with letters in them as identifiers for the Bomb Groups of the 8th Air Force. Made it easier to find you unit.

Brownk80

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    B-17 "Aluminum Overcast"

The Experimental Aircraft Association's B-17G-VE, serial number 44-85740 - nicknamed, Aluminum Overcast, was delivered to the U.S. Army Air Corps on May 18, 1945. Although delivered too late to see action in World War II, the airplane has an interesting history.

First Owner

Purchased as surplus from the military inventory for a mere $750 in 1946, the airplane has flown more than 1 million miles. It has served as a cargo hauler, an aerial mapping platform and in pest control and forest dusting applications.

Return to Military Roots

The airplane's return to its military roots began in 1978, when it was purchased by a group of investors who wished to preserve the heritage of the magnificent B-17. The group, "B-17s Around the World," was headed by Dr. Bill Harrison. Their goal was to return the B-17 to its former glory.

Donation to EAA

The economic reality of simply maintaining a vintage bomber, let alone the cost of restoration, prompted the group to donate the B-17 to the Experimental Aircraft Assocation in 1983. Since that time, an extensive program of restoration and preservation was undertaken to insure Aluminum Overcast would be a living reminder of World War II aviation for many years to come. The restoration has taken more than 10 years and thousands of hours by dedicated staff and volunteers at EAA Oshkosh, Wisconsin, headquarters.

Aluminum Overcast proudly carries the colors of the 398th Bomb Group of World War II, which flew hundreds of missions over Nazi-held territory during the war. Aluminum Overcast commemorates B-17G #42-102515 which was shot down on its 34th combat mission over Le Manior, France, on August 13, 1944. Veterans of the 398th helped finance the bomber's restoration.

http://www.b17.org/

http://journalstar.com/news/local/article_834592bd-e471-57c2-b5cc-7f1b51875f89.html

http://santamariatimes.com/news/local/article_e923c3c6-4b78-11df-9f4b-001cc4c03286.html

http://www.kpbs.org/events/2011/apr/13/6760/

BTW, did anyone catch that this is not a Boeing made B-17, but was made by Lockheed-Vega? The model B-17G-VE shows it was made by Vega. If it had been made by Boeing it would be a B-17G-BO. Douglas also built B-17s, designated by DL.

Checking my serial number reference book, 44-85740 was delivered by Vega to Louisville on May 15, 1945. RFC Altus on July 11, 1945. It was sold to Metal Products, then to Universal Aviation, then to Vero Beach, Florida Import/Export Company to fly cattle to Puerto Rico. Sold to Aero Service, Phily for high altitude mapping service, then eventually restored per above as Aluminum Overcast.

Also, the serial number is part of a block consisting of serials 44-85692 to 44-85791. The specific model number is B-17-105-VE. The 105 is a block number, which is the designation for various production changes and upgrades. It was not specified what was upgraded on the -100-VE or -105-VE blocks, the last entry being made for the -95-VE block ("Flak curtains on upper half of bulkhead No 3 added.")

20. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Jake, not the tail number but rather the Group tail insignia. There was another picture which isn't there now but I believe it was a Triangle W, which when I looked it, up was for the 398th Bomb Group. They use Squares, Circles and Triangles with letters in them as identifiers for the Bomb Groups of the 8th Air Force. Made it easier to find you unit.

Brownk80

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.