1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Rear Projection TV's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mette56, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

O/T Rear Projection TV

We are looking to purchase a new large screen TV. IYO, are the later model "REAR PROJECTION" HDTV's comparable to the ultra thin non rear projection type regarding picture clarity?

Any comments regarding rear projection vs. non-rear projection will be appreciated.

Thanks,

milt

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I am sitting here waiting for the TV repair man for our 6 year old rear projection 51" TV.

1st problem that we have ever had with it.

Picture quality is very good ... but ... not as good as the new flat screen TVs.

3. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

They do not make rear projection anymore. Your either going to be into a plasma, an LCD, or an LED. Only 2 or 3 companies are still making plasma they are 42" and up no small ones. LCD has 3 different processors and that dictates the price 60 hrtz, 120 hrtz and 240 hrtz. LED ( the newest out ) has processors also and that dictates the price. 3 D is a fad don't buy you will see these phase out in the near future. Stay with a name brand and there is only a handful now LG, Toshiba, Samsung, Panasonic, Sony, Sharp and Mitsubishi, the rest are off brands and there are no part available to fix them even in warranty. Usually after a lot of headaches they will replace the set.

4. T H Wallace

T H Wallace Member

Don't even bother with a rear projection. I still have one, I retired it, due to the fact, it was going to cost more to replace the bulb, than it was for a new LED High Def TV.

FYI, the bulb, which only last about 12 to 18 months is over $300.00.

5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have an LED....the picture is really clear!!! they are going down in price now so if you can hold off a little bit longer, I would shoot for a LED.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Our main TV is a Sony rear projection and we have had no problems, not even a bulb going out. Like it was stated I don't think they even make them any more.

We have a LCD in the basement and just bought a LED for the bedroom. The LED is the way to go. I would also recomend to stay away from the 3D but that is your choice.

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Misubishi still makes DLP projectors.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you have the room and can control the ambient light, why not consider a home theatre set-up using a projector and screen?!

Jay

9. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

We have a 60" Sony DLP and the picture is the best of ANY of the current TV's that I have seen. Mitsubishi is I believe the only manufacturer that still has DLP TV's in production....the only drawback is replacing the bulb...original lasted two years and then the replacement lasted one year....costs about $100 to replace the bulb...the Mitsubishi's are relatively low priced for the screen size you get....

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

O/T Rear Projection TV

Had a Samsung DLP---the color wheel crapped out, the unit went into the dumpster, it was 4 years old--paid about $2800 for it, new LG gves a better picture & cost about as much as the repair would have been.

Phil Berkowitz

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I would only go with a rear projection TV if it was extremely cheap or free used. I am watching my free 64" Rear Projection Mitsubishi HD TV now, and I love it. I would never go smaller. The only drawback is the size of the overall TV. It's a huge box If I was to buy a new TV, I would go with the largest LCD I could get, and hang it on the wall. The guy that gave me my TV has several 46" LCD TV's, and the picture clarity is amazing compared to my TV. I'd still want to go larger, but I recommend you not go smaller than 46". Now he's got a 64" 3D TV too. I haven't watched it yet.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Update on my rear projection TV.

Repair man arrived, diagnosed it and said $429 to repair it.

I paid him for the service call and went out and bought a flat screen.

13. skeezix

skeezix Member

funny how those obsolete no good old CRT tv's just keep working - through the projection tv era, then the DLP's, then the plasmas, now the lcd/led's.

be really nice if there was something on tv actually worth watching.

one tidbit I've learned on any tv - they are all very sensitive to power fluctuations. I put a battery backup for a desktop computer in the tv room and plug the tv into that - tv went through 2 power supplies before and none after.

sigh

john

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

LED tv's have an LCD display. The led is for backlighting. That is what makes the newer ones thinner but not necessarily better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.