1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Real trapshooters drink gunpowder tea

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Yup, I bought some. Just had a cup.

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Isafededa , Crotin oil, Gunpowder !! Just make sure you dont blow him up ! Now who said that ? Jeff

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Recurvyarcher:

I was introduced to the many wonderful varieties of tea by some information technology contractors who were from India. We were working extended hours for 6-7 days a week on a large project and, after a while, coffee just did not taste right.

They preferred the black and green teas from Sri Lanka (Ceylon).

Gunpowder green tea gets its name from the way the leaves are rolled into little pellets while curing. These little pellets were said to resemble the kernels of gunpowder used in British naval ships.

To this day, I drink mostly Ceylon tea, both the green and the black. Ceylon tea has a distinctive taste that, to me, is very smooth and pleasant.

Green and black tea both come from the same plant. The difference is that green tea has been oxidized less. Tea is oxidized by storing it in a temperature and humidity controlled room. The tea gradually turns from green to black during oxidization.

Green tea has less caffeine but more health benefits. It also has less tannic acid. If you drink a lot of tea, you need to either drink green tea or add a little milk to black tea to neutralize the tannic acid.

You can develop a hacking cough, not unlike a cigarette cough, from drinking too much black tea.

I buy my tea online from either Twinnings or The Australian Tea Company.

The Australian Tea Company is often out of tea so you have to check their website frequently and order when their tea is available.

Here is a link to each.

http://www.twiningsusa.com

http://teasofceylon.elsstore.com

Ed Ward

4. recurvyarcher

I keep many types of Bentley green teas in my kitchen, as well as some from Bigelow. I also periodically purchase from Teavana...that's where I bought my chinese iron tea set and also my steeper.

My adoptive parents are from India, so I grew up drinking a lot of tea.

I am also a coffee hound, though some would call me a coffee snob. Caffeine has no discernable effect on me. Guess that would be called a caf-finatic.

5. aaaskeet

aaaskeet Member

bigbore613, you would have to be referring to John Wanye in Eldorado. One of my all time favorites.

Dennis

6. Robb

Robb Member

That's right. Eldorado. They called the old deputy Bull, he carried a horn. Wish we had movies like that now.

7. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Caffeine has no effect on me either. I can drink a venti at Starbucks and go right to sleep. I like different varieties of tea as well. Chai is my favorite.

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I am from KY...we drink Lipton tea and shoot KY 9's :)

Forrest

9. Robb

Robb Member

As he shot the church bell.

10. recurvyarcher

Colonel Reb, this is how you make real chai from India:

In a pot, mix 3/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup water. Slice a 1/4" piece of fresh ginger into the liquid. Add a few whole cloves, a half of a stick of cinnamon, and 4 pods of cardamom (crushed). Bring to a slow boil while stirring (so the milk doesn't burn on the bottom). Shut off heat and add 2 teabags (black tea), and steep. Strain into cup and add sugar to taste (Indians add a lot).

I make mine with loose leaf tea, which is how most of us make it, in which case you add the tea leaves along with the rest of the spices. But a lot of people don't like the clean up involved with loose tea.

You'll save a lot of money making it yourself, and it tastes a lot better.

Some people also like to grind the dry spices, mix them as a chai spice, and keep it in a jar handy. You can do that once you get a feel for how much of each dry spice to use to your taste. But chai tastes best when made fresh.

Some people add a tiny bit of black pepper (usually villagers from the state of Gujurat). I do that when I have a cold...it seems to help.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Caffeine doesn't move me either. But if you get around Seattle where the REAL coffee fanatics are, try the chocolate covered coffee beans.

Make sure you have a good book or a knitting project handy or enough components to load for a few hours.

HM

12. jwsesq.

jwsesq. TS Member

For those of you that like to drink tea please go to the following website:
    www.uptontea.com
    pardon the pun but you'll be blown away

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't drink tea but my wife does. She got some different flavors and one was Gunpowder so I tried it. Now, I don't know what gun powder tastes like but the tea tastes like what you might imagine if your not a tea drinker. Good Lord it was bad!

14. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Big Ski, Wegman's? Where are you from, Sir?

15. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

They ain't made a good movie since John Wayne died!

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

That's all i need is gunpowder tea. I'm hiper enough. lol is there were the phrase come from Shittin bullets?

17. recurvyarcher

Don't steep the gunpowder tea too long - only about 1.5 minutes. It should be a pale green, like the stuff you get in a good chinese restaurant. If you steep it too long, it will become bitter.

18. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

There is a fella at our club that drinks gunpowder tea.

The reason I know that is because he is always "shootin his mouth off"

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.