1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T RCBS Reloader on E-Bay

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ronbo142, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Price is right and I am assuming all I need to buy would be the dies.

As I would not be loading huge ammounts is this all the equipment I need to get me started.

Item number: 130201651860

Ronbo

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

With the exception of a good scale, Powder measure , Case deburing tool, Calipers for measuring OAL, Loading manual, Case trimmer, And possibly a brass cleaner it's a start.

Jim

3. DJM

DJM Member

If you have no equipment to start with then the kits offerred by all the major reloaders are a great value. RCBS, Lyman & Hornady to name a few. Either new from Midway or used from E-bay. Buying up the list of items Jim provided individually will eat up all `your savings.

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ronbo, i hope that you are planning to reload metal cartridges with that, and not shot shells. Don't mean to insult you just trying to make sure you get the right thing. Mike

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I don't see a scale if not you would need one of those and a powder measure would sure speed things up.

6. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Hey Ronbo check out the Lee Classic Turret at the above website.

I also have a used RCBS Jr3 press with auto primer feed for $40.00 plus shipping if interested.

Here is my post from someones previous question about getting started in reloading.

Lee loads just as good ammo as Dillon. obviously they have not tried the Classic Turret Press. The Lee Classic Turret is a very rugged and well built press to start out with for the quantity you are interested in reloading per month and it can be used to load rifle too unlike the Dillon Square peal.

With the Lee you can easily load 200 rounds per hour, it auto indexes so it is almost impossible to double charge a case. It can be switched to single stage and back in 10 seconds. You can switch turrets to load other calibers in the same amount of time.

These people are selling a kit for $149.95 for everything you need to start reloading less a scale and components. http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products/reloading/completerelo/KempfKit.html

I recommend you upgrade and get the other size primer tool in case you want to load something with large primers in the future.

The Pro powder measure is also a nice unit worth upgrading to, I have and use both the pro is a little more user friendly.

Upgrade to Safety Prime System for Large & Small Primers $8.00 Upgrade to PRO AutoDisk Powder Measure (shown below) $11.95

You can read more here http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

You will not be disappointed with the Classic turret or Lee dies they are both very good quality products and you won't be throwing your money away.

And as far as shooting 38 specials in a 357, go ahead and shoot all the 38's you want just get a Tornado brush and give the cylinder a few swipes with it and the lead ring will come right out so you can chamber 357's again.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with Lee or Kempfgunshop.

tom

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Assuming you already have a quality balance-beam scale, you'll still want dies (with carbide sizer & Lee taper-crimp die if straight-wall caliber,) powder measure, powder funnel, primer flipper tray (Dillon's metal one,) lube and lube pad for non-carbide-sized cartridges, dial caliper, "hammer-type" kinetic bullet-puller, reloading books, loading blocks for 50 cartridges, maybe case trimmer & neck chamfer tool, case tumbler & media. And also an auto primer feed for the press, like on Tom's above. Whole buncha stuff. Phil E

8. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

Hi Ronbo that RCBS deal is ok but like a lot of the above post mention, it's not near enough to get started, Go to the RCBS site thay have there a step by step procedure for new reloaders, I have a Lee setup which by far is the cheapest of all the others out there and I have had and used ( although ) mine about once every 3 years and have loaded thousands of shell with it, there is a lot more to loading metallic cartridges than there is to loading shot shells, but follow this lead and it will get you started..

Go to Cabelas.com
    Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading Kit $99.00 this will at least get you started, but now 1st if you are going to use old dirty brass tou will neen a Tumbler ( to clean the cases, if you can also get carbide Pistol Dies ( you dont need to lube every case with carbide dies I am not sure that they make them for Rifle( standard dies you have to lube every case ) and believe me if you happen not to lube every case properly including the inside of the Neck You will reget it ( the case will stick in the full length resizing die and they are hell to get out, to will later ( sooner is better ) go to a electronic scale W/ attached or detached powder dispenser ( for accuracy you will want to weigh every load ) some guys will use a powder measure but if you do that be sure to check its accuracy every ( I used to check its accurace about every 25 drops ) but now I went to the eletronic scale withe the auto dispenser LOVE it although I have a model that is a few years old and its a lot slower that some of the ones that you can buy now ( but the faster ones cost a lot more ) well to much to type here But I think that you may still have my Home phone number and if you ever want to chat about this give me a call or email me a wareagle2017@yahoo.com for my number,,,, How are you doing with My old 682X. Also that kit that cabelas has is also available from http://www.natchezss.com/ or www.midwayusa.com for less Money

$99.99

9. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Thank you all for your insight I need to go back and read each in detail.

I own 1 Rifle a Ruger #1 .270 Winchester I have plenty of expended casings I have decided to be a little more dedicated to my deer hunting exploits next year and want to load my own ammo for practice and hunting. With premium ammo prices going through the roof my intent was to build my own premium catraiges.

Thanks again I might be in touch with more questions.

Ronbo

10. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

If you are loading just for rifle cartridges then the single stage RCBS press is a great choice but if in the future you decide to do some handgun reloading then the lee would be a better choice as it can be used for either single stage or auto index which speeds thing up by at least double what a single stage can put out.

tom

11. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Tom, this is Peter, you responded to my thread 2 weeks ago regarding reloading pistol ammo. Thanks for the web site Kempfsunshop. I have another question; how many times I can reload the brass if I clean it with the tumbler after every shot and do I have to clean it every time even if I save the brass in my pocket after I shoot it? Thanks again, Peter.

12. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I usually clean my brass before reloading it but it is not realy necessary to do it every time. I just throw my empty brass in a large container until I save up a full load for the tumbler then do it all at once.

Depending on what cartrige you are talking about brass life will vary.

38 special will last a long time, I have some that I have loaded 20 times with a light crimp (target loads) 45 acp will last about as long. Just load them until the case starts to split.

High pressure stuff is a different story though. 9mm 40s&w are probably only good for 3or4 (you should scrap them) screamer reloads but if you load light they will last longer.

tom

13. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

Tom, thanks for the response, your advise has been a great help to start reloading, Peter.

14. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

Ronbo, mash on the link. It should give you a step by step process and all the equipment you will need

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.