1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Questions for you varminters out there

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mr.C, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.C

Mr.C TS Member

I have two questions.Firstly,I just purchased a Savage 12fvss in 22/250,with a 4x12x40 mm scope.What range should I zero in at(100 yds,200 yds?)Secondly what brands of ammo,and at how many grains of powder? Thanks in advance.
    Pat Cornacchio

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Pat, are you planning on loading or just shooting factory ammo? Steve

3. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

For my 22-250 I reload 35.2 grains of IMR 4064 with 55 grain Hornady V-MAX moly bullets. I very seldom get a exit hole with these bullets on coyotes. I sight my 22-250 at 100 yards and I want it to shoot 1 inch high at 100 yards.

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

try hornaday ammo first it has been excellent for me. use a higher power scope. 6x18 power minimum. 6x20 power, 8.5x25. you can't hit what you can't see. make sure trigger pull is reasonable. you have a gun that will do the job out to 500 yards plus if you do your part

5. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I load 40.0 grains of Hogdon H414 and a 52 grain Speer HP for hunting. Look at the end of the bullet, the HP is so big it would swollow up a house fly;). I sight my 250 in at 1-1/2 high at 100 yds, it's dead on at 200 and 3 inches low at 300 and about 9 inches low at 500. Look at the VHA and see how far those guys shoot prairie dogs with a 250. Woodchuck here in Ohio don't stand much of a chance with that load. The big ones just die and the little ones are field dressed at the same time they get hit. Don't use that bullet on fox, you might as well just let them lay.

I set my bullets to tough the lands, I prep my primer pockets and use match (not BR) magnum primers, this load is a full case. Take extra time in your ammo and it pays off. Switch to HPBT Match bullets for paper (my Remington shoots .900 at 200 yds. I have the targets and trophy to show for it.

Have fun, shoot safe and at great distances. Remember, all shooting is fun, but, accurate guns are more fun.

OB

6. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I agree with Ohio Bob's advice....I just wish he would come up to my farm and shoot some woodchucks for me.

Great choice for sign on name as well....

The other OhioBob

Bob T.

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

OB Can't find that bullet in my book. My book is probably too old. Is that a match grade bullet or standard? What kind of barrel on that Rem? length?

My factory .243 shoots lights out, but been having problems with a good load in my 22-250.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Zero your rifle for the maximum point blank range. What this means is to adjust the scope to the longest yardage without being to high at closer ranges.

You will need a trajectory table for your chosen round. the above website will do it for you.

For example my .223 is sighted 2.3 inches high at 100 and winds up 1.6 low at 300. This makes for easy shooting most of the time with less hold over. I just shoot at the bottom of the close ones, and the top of the far ones.

The bullet is within a 4 inch area wherever it may be in its flight.

I believe the dead zero on this setup to be around 275 yards.

Lots of dead dogs using this technique.

HM

9. 1-straight

1-straight TS Member

Hey mrc!!

Have you ever surfed:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

This is a gigantic web site varment shooters!! They also have a great classified ads section .... lots of call makers ect.

Give 'em a try - I'm sure you will enjoy the site!!!

Regards

1-straight

10. Kynoch

Kynoch TS Member

Ohio Bob

I question your 9" low at 500. I would guess more like 14" low @ 400 and at 500 I have no idea as my range only goes to 400.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Halfmile is spot on. I use that method for all my rifles with modern scopes.<br>
    <br>
    One slight exception are my scopes with target knobs. I sight them in at 100 yards so I have a reference point, but for all around field use I turn the knob up to the point blank sight in.

12. Mr.C

Mr.C TS Member

Thanks guys for the advice.I probably will shoot factory loads,and most of my targets will probably be 100-300 yds.Halfmile,thanks for the ballistics website,truly helpful.
    Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.