1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T question for the PC-literate guys

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Jul 11, 2013.

1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a desktop PC with a Pentium Dual-Core E5500 2.8GHz CPU running Windows 7 64-bit edition and have been getting two error messages upon start-ups. One advises me that "C:\PROGRAM~3\twi7h.dat - specified module could not be found" and the other is apparently for a program called Babylon and is storage error 2.

I have performed a run-time scan with Malwarebytes and a boot-time scan with Avast A/V but found no infections. The computer seems to function normally and has 7GB of RAM, two 1TB internal hard drives and a 250GB external hard drive, so sufficient data storage should not be a problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ed

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The first looks to be a program 'pointing' to a specific file that is NOT where it is expected to be. Not sure which one.

Second one COULD be for Babylon dictionaries - can't be sure, you'll need to see if you have that program on the computer...

3. davnport

davnport Member

http://www.babylon.com/ is the only thing I find.. A translation program..

I'd try to 'uninstall' . control panel, then 'programs and features' and see if it's in the list..

4. AveragEd

Did a search for "Babylon" - it came up but when I clicked on it, I got "storage initialization failed (error 2)". Control Panel shows two named Babylon - one has no file size, the other is called "Babylon-English toolbar v5.7.2.2" with no file size.

Ed

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I'd try going to control panel - 'uninstall programs' and then dump the Babylon (most likely a tool bar that was added at some point when you installed other software).

These might be the same issue...

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Looks like it's a program not a virus. I would go to your control panel and click on "programs - uninstall a program" and if you see the word Babylon in any of the programs uninstall it. Here is some info on it.

http://shoutland.com/5266/solved-babylon-problem-on

7. AveragEd

Okay, dumped Babylon and that error message did not appear on a restart but that first one still does.

Ed

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The dat file is being looked for by a specific program. At some point it MAY create an eror that will point to what is involved.

You can search for the file - 3\twi7h.dat, which will hopefully tell you which program is searching for the file.

To remove it you would need to edit the registry (reg-edit) - which is NOT a good thing to do unless you know your computer/system well.

I hate to say this, but if you don't mind, I would just live with it until you can figure out what program is NOT running correctly...

9. AveragEd

A search for "3\twi7h.dat" revealed nothing so I will take your advice.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Ed

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Jono, if I'm reading this correctly, your task bar hides itself when you move the cursor off of it.

To make your task bar visible all the time........right click on an empty space on your task bar. A little window will pop up, go ahead on click on properties. This will bring up your Task Bar & Start menu's.

If "auto hide is checked, click on it and uncheck it. Click on apply at the bottom of the page and click okay.

That should make it stay visible for you.

I would also click on the "Lock Taskbar" too.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Hauxfan!

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Stapels stores offer free PC tuneups here in So-Cal. My local store seems to know what it is doing; they have software that finds dead links, things in start up files that souldn't be there and the like. Worth a trip to Stapels if there is a "good" one in your area.