1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: question for the MS Word experts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a new PC onto which I installed the MS Office 2010 suite and am having a curious quirk with Word. It attaches an "x" to the tail end of the file name - ".docx" instead of ".doc" as my older versions did. How can I remedy that? People tell me they cannot open my files because of that "x."

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ed

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

As above. Either you have to save it in a version earlier than 2007, or others with, say 2003, have to download a free compatability file from Microsoft. You will probably have the same issue with Excel.

3. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

The reason they can't open the files is MS Office 2010 uses a new format, hence .docx. As suggested previously, save the files as Word 2007 or earlier format using the .doc format. I believe if you open Word preferences (and other applications such as Excel, Access, PowerPoint) you can chose which default format files are saved as.

Once they've been saved in earlier formats of Word, opening, editing and saving should be in the format they were previously saved in.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

As previously stated, you must save the documents as an earlier version. The "docx" extension represents a new file type that is not easily backwards compatible. I generally use Word 2000 or 2003 compatibility. Most of my clients are using Word 2000 or later. You can also "print" the document as a PDF file using any number of utilities. It gives them access to the document, allows them to print it, but they cannot usually change it. Most versions of Office will allow you to specify the default file format for saving.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! As you thought, I was able to go into "Save" and "Options," where I had a choice of over a dozen ways for documents to be saved. I selected "Word 2000-2003" which saves them as ".doc" files.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.