1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Question for Plumber

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by miketmx, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

OK I'm not a plumber and in fact I have been known to have nitemares about getting a water leak and flooding damage. We are getting new floor covering in our house and I have to remove the toilet temporarily for the installation. The toilet has a shut/off valve that has not been closed in 35 years and it won't budge and in fact dripped water for a few hours when I tried to turn the handle. Should I: 1) Pay a real Plumber to do the job 2) Shut off the water at the main valve in the basement and remove and reinstall the toilet after the floor covering is finished or 3) Attempt to repair the 35 year old shut/off valve at the toilet ??

2. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Turn the water off and replace the old cut off valve. May want to replace the line to the toilet also if it is warranted. Ray

3. miketmx

The old shut/off valve at the toilet is only 3/4 inch from the wall and is soldered to the copper pipe. I am totally Useless with soldered fittings and afraid of expensive damage if I try to cut the copper pipe and use a compression fitting when the pipe is too short.

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Call a real plumber and save yourself a lot of grief. Replace the valve whatever you do. jmho, Bill

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Don't worry about soldering- get you a "shark bite" fitting & go from there.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Call a real plumber!

It won't cost more that a weekend's shoot!

:)

7. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I only have two household improvement tools.

1. Telephone.

2. Mastercard.

They work every time and have had very little problem with either.

Plumbing rules: 1. Poop runs down hill. 2. Don't bite your fingernails.

Bob

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You are going to want to replace the shut-off valve. It's not a big deal, so if you do call in a plumber it shouldn't cost a lot. You did not mention what type of line goes from the valve to the toilet - this will matter.

Stick with the sweat fitting - you can even pick one up yourself. You want a 'ball valve' style fitting - these should never seize owing to the design.

Want to impress the plumber?? Have the correct valve (1/2 copper by ?? - most likely a 3/8 compression - what line goes from the valve to the toilet tank??), and a fresh wax ring to seat the toilet. Also pick up a set of mounting screws for the toilet (you can buy this all in a little pack). Have the water shut off and the toilet already drained (don't ask - it's ugly) when he arrives. Have a bucket, towels, etc. present for him as well.

I know it doesn't sound like much but he will appreciate it, and it shows you have some knowledge and interest, but are smart enough to call him before you dig yourself too deep a hole.

I would NOT replace the toilet - old ones used more water per flush, but work much better. The new ones often take two or three flushes to clear the bowl and end up using just as much water as the old ones.

Good luck

David D

9. miketmx

Thanks to all who responded. I called a real plumber this morning and now I will be able to sleep peacefully without waking up in a cold sweat.

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Turn off the water at the main and disconnet the water supply to the toilet and replace the shutoff and turn the main water back on checking for leaks. When replacing the toilet don't forget a new wax ring and anchor bolts.

11. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

More plumbing rules 3.hots on the left, colds on the right. 4.turn right make tight. 5. paydays on thursday. Another good tip,CALL A PRO!!. many a savvy home owner has done major $$$ damage to his home trying to solder piping too close to walls, ceilings or floors,only to have to explain to the fire dept.and fire marshall what they were trying to do. Good Luck ML.

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

They also have heatless solder now. No fire. Ray....

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I like the doit guys. Guy asked me how much it would cost to replace the seals in the shower . I said what kind? Answer-dont know. I said I can look at it and may have stuff $55 an hour[this was a few years ago] Answer-- I THINK I can do it. $3000 and He did it himself. Dont mess with stuff you dont know . I dont work on TVs[I will check the horiazonal hold for some women] Let a Pro do it.

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

ctreay,

Gotta disagree with you on this one...

Ever have your car on a lift only to have the tech find he doesn't have the filter for your car??? - "Leave here until Monday so I can order the right one??"

My comment was not meant to stuff it in the face of the plumber, only to show you have an interest in his work. Most people appreciate when others are interested in what they do.

Having ALL the correct parts will save the plumber trips to supply houses, etc. (and save you money, because you will pay for his time). Especially if you need a unique valve, or want a specific one (I mentioned a ball valve, and the ones used for toilet feeds are specialized - typically NOT carried by most plumbers on a day to day basis).

Buckets, towels, etc. say "I am thinking about what you might need" and again, most people appreciate when you care about them. You'd be surprised what these little things do to the attitude of the guy working in your house. This can also affect what they charge you...

David D

15. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Interesting solution seen recently for this same problem. It is a new valve the screws onto the old valve at the supply line side. The old valve stays soldered and the new inline value shuts off the water. New flexible supply tube would help rig a stool up right. My daddy's rule for setting toilets is: If you ain't squeezin wax out, it's gonna leak! Y wax MV Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.