1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Question for photographer's

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bill Bauer, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Bill, I shoot a Nikon D-200 with the exact same lens with the same problem. I went with a Kenko 2X Tele Extender and have had fair results. One of the draw backs, you have to manual focus and make sure you have a tripod or something to rest it on. You'll also have to shoot at ISO 800 or better with either of the lenses you mention or the extender as you lose at least two aperature stops. With that long a lens manual focus and the tripod shouldn't cause any big problems. It also helps to go to a higher shutter speed for sharpness. Let me know how you make out with the lenses as I may want to go that route also. Bill

2. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I find that after a 300mm you either lose enough light or you would have to pay so much for a heavy lens that it is not worth it.

If you shoot at full resolution and then slightly crop your pictures, you can have 500mm like performance without much loss of quality of image.

A image taken at 300mm with a stop or two faster shutter speed, especially with a VR lense will look better than most 500mm images even after cropping.

Just my .02

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

Stay away from converters and buy a quality Nikon fixed focal lenght lens that you need. John

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

what John says.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'm right with you Bill. You are on the money with your thoughts.

I'm a Nikon lifer and would not change. I have bought several bodies and lenses on e-bay and Craig's List by watching carefully and picking and choosing.

IMO, Nothing compares to Nikon glass (except Zeiss or Leica) and you won't get your tele from them.

Here's one I just found, might be in your range.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-VR-80-400mm-f4-5-5-6D-ED-AF-LENS_W0QQitemZ280419785177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item414a5259d9

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.