1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Question for mechanics

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Do you all ever replace the power steering fluid. If so what is the best way to do it? The car in question is a 1993 3.8 Mercury Sable. Thanks everyone. Merry Christmas!

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

We do it for people who ask. Trying to push this service seems a waste of time most people think you are blowing smoke up their $%^. I personally change my brake fluid and power stearing fluid as soon as it turns a bit muddy.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Brake fluid, PS fluid and coolant stay in no more than 2 years in anything I own.

Morgan

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

PS Fluid, Brake Fluid, Coolant, Clutch Fluid, Differential Fluid, Transmission/transfer case fluids every two years or so with any appropriate filters as required.

Best Way? Drain, Fill, Bleed. Find a low point in the system you can open to drain it, probably a hose fitting on the rack, and loosen it enough to drain the fluid. Tighten it up and add fluid to the pump and then bleed the system by turning the wheel slowly from left to right. Be careful not to hold the wheel at any extreme left or right stop for more than a second or two. That will burn the pump. It's easier to put the front wheels off the ground for that. Access to the rack and fittings on the 3.8 might be rough if I remember correctly.

I have a PS analyzer that I use to drain the system through the low pressure return line and fill it through the same point to the pump.

5. emm2

emm2 Member

Buy a turkey baster and suck the p/s reservoir out and then fill with new fluid. Start the car and turn the wheel all the way to the left, suck and refill again. Start the car and turn the wheel to the right and repeat again. That is the same procedure our Snap-on machine does that we charge $50 for. I would recommend doing this every 30,000 miles.

6. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, the baster, sounds the best anybody else with a suggestion?

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Interesting report on auto maintainance.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.