1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T - Question for Blackberry Users

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Hello all,

I am currently on Verizon Wireless and looking @ a Blackberry to get my email on the go. They also have the nice VZ Navigator (GPS) feature. For those of you that use a Blackberry, I have a few questions:

(1) Is it worth the money? (phone, extra internet fee, etc)

(2) How reliable is the Blackberry line of phones?

(3) Ease of use?

Thanks, Matt Woodson

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Matt,

I have a Blackberry Storm (I think, if not it is a Curve). At any rate, while I was living in So. Cal, on temp assignment, I used my blackberry for everything. It worked great for about 6 months, when it died, for some unknown reason. Verizon replaced it at a local store, no questions asked. The new phone works fine. I use the WEB connections extensively with no problems. I have never had a problem with getting out with the phone. The only thing I have not been able to do is get into the threads on ts.com. They are adding "Apps" all the time...so, I remain quite happy.

JON

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If you need your emails on the go, there is nothing better then a Blackberry PDA. I have the Nokia e71X PDA which works very well also, no trouble reading or posting on ts.com or looking at scores on the R J Stuart site.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We use Blackberrys and Treos at work. The Blackberrys are on ATT, while the Treos are on Verizon. We wanted to put the Blackberrys on Verizon, but there was too much functionality loss with Outlook email at this time. Note that this is a business environment with Active Directory being in use. Not a home user with standalone Outlook email.

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I will only be using the Blackberry for regular cell phone use, text messaging, getting emails, and the VZ Navigator. My email account is with Gmail, and Verizon told me that it wouldn't be an issue. I do not plan to use the Blackberry for Web Surfing @ this moment. I have a Verizon AirCard for my laptop, which I love! I think I will use the Blackberry most for emails on the go, contact info, and calender.

Matt Woodson

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I have a Blackberry Curve on the Verizon network for email and web browsing. Wasn't sure I would like it, but I love it. I get my office email (Microsoft Exchange Server) and my regular email on this. I have synced both office/home contacts and calendars with no problem. I did not have to have my IT person (at work) program my phone to get email either, I set it up in about 2 minutes. I'm on the browser (web) all the time.

I get reception, web use, etc in more places than my IPhone using friends. The only place I've noticed where I can't use it is when I'm on the train (to/from work) going through the tunnels. No one has service there! There are plenty of app's (free and fee based) and they're adding more all the time.

Interestingly, I, like Chiefjon, cannot access the threads on ts.com on my blackberry.

I'm pleased and will be upgrading my Blackberry model in the Spring.

7. Vickie

Vickie Member

For all you Blackberry users that are having trouble getting ts.com, try the webtv version. I had trouble when I first got my Blackberry, but David told me log on to the webtv version and it worked. After a while, both versions worked. Try it and let us know.

Vickie

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

chiefjon and browning4me,

I don't have a problem getting on the threads, but if I sign it takes forever ro refresh the page. I think I had to download some software, but not sure what it was.

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Vickie & Bigdog,

I get the main page, but for some reason my cursor doesn't recognize any of the links. I just tried it again (haven't tried in months). I retyped in the web address (didn't use the bookmark) thinking that would help. It didn't. Is there a setting I'm missing or that I need?

TIA.

10. Vickie

Vickie Member

browning, type in trapshooters.com/webtv and see what happens.

11. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Vickie -- that worked! It took me to the large targets, I clicked on Forums and voila! There I was. Fabulous, thank you.

12. Vickie

Vickie Member

Great! I don't know what kind of Blackberry you have, but I have a Storm, and I just downloaded (or uploaded which ever it is) the latest version, I think it is 5.0, and it did make my Storm faster and I can do more things with it.

I love mine, sometimes I dont even bother to power up the computer to check my emails, and you can be in constant contact (if you want) with anyone. Took me a while to get used to it, but I don't think I can be without it now.

Vickie

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Blackberry (storm) and don't look back....TS.com works, just slower....I was posting last summer from the banks of the Kenai River in Alaska last summer!

14. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

A Blackberry on Verizon is the only way to go. I have a BB Curve, and I love it. Texting on the Curve is easy.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It works well as an air card also. Plug into lap top and I can do anything on the go that I can do in my office. Allows me to get away to more shoots. The phone is a lot smarter than I am. I highly reccommend it.

Don

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It works well as an air card also. Plug into lap top and I can do anything on the go that I can do in my office. Allows me to get away to more shoots. The phone is a lot smarter than I am. I highly reccommend it.

Don

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Matt are you looking to be a new one with a contract or a used one anyway don't know if you ever beeen to vci.net before or not but they always have some fr sale I saw a new one well 30 days old they wanted 200.00 or best offer but it is sold now.

http://classifieds.vci.net/ I have got a lot of good deals from there and they are local people in west ky and surounding areas

Foggy

18. woodsman

woodsman TS Member

I have been using a black berry for a couple of years. I had a World 8830 and now I have the storm. I also have verizon as a service provider. I like the email capability, web surfing (only if I have to in an emergency).

I tried the VZ navigator but canceled the services. I use my garmin in the car and a handheld for hiking. The vz navigator was slow and I found it painful to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.