1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Question for a mechanic

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by handlepuller, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I have a '96 Tahoe and the blower fan went out on the low speeds; it still works on high.

I've heard there is a panel of resistors that let the fan operate on the lower speeds that may have gone out. I've already changed the switch on the dash and that didn't help.

Anyone know how to fix this problem? If these resistors are it, where are they and how do I get to them to replace them?

Thanks in advance.

2. atashooter

atashooter Member

There is a printed circuit block down by the blower motor. That is what took the place of the old blower speed resistor. Matter of fact they still call it the " Blower resister module.

3. handlepuller

I removed the rubber cover and then took out the blower fan (I guess) from under that. It was 9/32, good call.

I'm still not finding anything that looks like what I need. Next to the fan is the heater core and the wires that go into the fan just go into some others. Part of this mess goes to and through the firewall.

What am I missing? I think I'm close.

4. bigd

bigd TS Member

no need to remove blower motor trace power wire from blower motor back to
    little black box. this is the motor speed controler remove and replace with
    new updated one
    Darren

5. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

That may or may not be what it is, but if you want to try, be careful and slip out the glove box door-----carefully fold the ears in at the bottom or you could break them. After it is out, look on top of the air box, just below the tubular frame, that is the module.

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Handle puller maybe it is a firewall problem as you said below.

Part of this mess goes to and through the firewall.
    What am I missing? I think I'm close.

Ok im just messing around at this time of night when most of the expert's are either sleeping or getting lucky!

So just want to say from my past experience im sure now days it is different with all of the high tech stuff but back when I had the same troubles I just bought a new switch for the blower but I see now you are probably just like me and probably tried it already.

Damn I hate the new generation.

Foghorn220

7. handlepuller

Well, I finally found the sucker.

Took the glove box out and it was on top of the plastic box that the heater core is in. Had to remove another bracket of wires to get to it.

I have a new one ordered, hope it takes care of the problem.

I just wanted to thank all of you guys for the help finding this thing.

I was way off, and it didn't really say much in Chilton's

John Houle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.