1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Question about car detailing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686beretta, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger. The other night I was washing it and getting ready to detail the inside. I looked at the owners manuel and it said NOT to use Armor All. I bought some McGuirers at Wal-Mart. My question is does anybody know why Dodge does not want Armor All used on the dash and vinyl. Thanks everyone.

2. C H S

C H S TS Member

Armorall contains some petroleum distillates that are harmful to some plastics and rubber. The best UV protector for the kind of thing you want to use Armorall for is called Aerospace 303. It won't make tire look like they are painted glossy black which looks really dumb anyway but it will give whatever you put it on a mellow gloss and great protection from UV, plus, it's not greasy feeling like Armorall.

Andy

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Try lemon pledge... Not slimey, not too glossy and has that nice lemony smell. Can't vouch for its uv properties though.

Guy

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

ArmorAll does two things well, it make things shine and it attracts dust like crazy.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Instrument panel pads treated with such chemicals tend to introduce a lot of glare to the windshield, too.

Ed

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Short story:

I was running B/MP at the drags years ago and there was a pretty good array of bikes running too, was pretty close to the time when the Pro bikes came on the scene but this one guy had a family affair with his bike racing.

This guy was running a fuel harley (no blower) and all his little kids (probably ranging from 4-10) had their own job to do, it might not be much but they got to be part of it.

He and I were leaning up against the car in staging lanes chatting about this and that, him in full leathers and I thought gee, how hot he must be. His bike was back about 3 cars and he would occasionally glimpse back to check on it. He looked and said "OMG" and started running towards it. His sweet little 4 year old had a red rag and the armorall out-------doing the seat,grips, everything she could. He got ahold of himself before he got there after the first yell and she didn't hear him-----he picked her up and gave her a hug then quietly said, "Darlin, we don't use that on the bike, OK?"

I thought "what a great Dad this guy is, went from panic to composed in a split second when it involved the little one". He casually got the gas can out, put some on a rag and started trying to wipe the slick snot off his seat and grips. ;^)

7. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Armor-All and a lot of other products that 'shine' up that vinyl contain chemicals that simply will speed up the process of drying out what you put it on - i.e. eventually it will crack. So, while you get a nice shine, you also damage the surface.
    I suggest going to a boat supply store and buy a product called 303 Aerosol Protectant. It has none of the harmful chemicals in it and will give your interior a nice shine. It even has a UV protector in it for your dashboard.

For info on 303 products, go to the website above. I don't work for them nor do I have an interest in them in any way - just a satisfied customer.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

What about the McGuirers(?) quick detailer?

9. Bubba

Bubba Member

Meguiar's Interior Detailer or Aerospace 303 are good products. Non greasy and won't attract dust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.