1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Quack Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by admiral Art, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Quack: The article below was in today's Daily Times (Salisbury Newspaper)

RECIPE: How to make a 10-layer Smith Island cake
    From The Associated Press

Recipe of native Smith Islander Frances Kitching for a 10-layer Smith Island cake:

- 2 cups sugar

- 2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), cut into chunks

- 5 eggs

- 3 cups flour

- 1/4 teaspoon salt

- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder

- 1 cup evaporated milk

- 2 teaspoons vanilla

- 1/2 cup water

Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time and beat until smooth. Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Mix into egg mixture one cup at a time. With mixer running, slowly pour in the evaporated milk, then the vanilla and water. Mix just until uniform.

Put three serving spoonfuls of batter into each of 10 9-inch, lightly greased pans, using the back of the spoon to spread evenly. Bake three layers at a time in the middle rack of an oven at 350 degrees for eight minutes. A layer is done when you hold it near your ear and you don't hear it sizzle.

Start making the icing when the first layers go in the oven. Put the cake together as the layers are finished. Let layers cool a couple minutes in the pans. Run a spatula around the edge of the pan and ease the layer out of the pan. Don't worry if it tears; no one will notice when the cake is finished. Use two and three serving spoonfuls of icing between each layer. Cover the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the icing. Place icing that runs onto the plate back onto the cake.

Chocolate icing for 10-layer cake:

- 2 cups sugar

- 1 cup evaporated milk

- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate

- 1 stick unsalted butter

- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla

Put sugar and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until warm. Add chocolate and cook to melt. Add butter and melt. Cook over medium heat at a slow boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Add vanilla. Icing will be thin, but will thicken as it cools.

— Source: Frances Kitching

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hi Admiral,

I'll file this one away for when I have recovered from surgery. I will probably gain back the weight I've lost, but it looks like it might be worth it. I just sampled another one of these fine cakes at a clients office on the shore recently. They seem to be popular and for a good reason.

Thanks for the recipe!

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.