1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T: Public Hunting in Northern VA

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rohitdean, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Hi All,
    What is a good place (public land - WMA, State Forest, National Forest etc.) to go to in Northern VA (I live in Loudoun County) for the following game

1. Doves

2. Upland Birds - Pheasant, Chukar, Quail etc.

3. Waterfowl - Geese, Mallard etc.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Rohit

2. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Not to be a smart ass but if you can find a private place you will be better off. I hunted public land ONCE and that was all I needed. I did not feel safe at all.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

rohitdean - The most game I have seen in your immediate area is where the targets fall at the Fairfax club. It can be a challenge at that club to set targets in the morning without hitting a deer or a turkey with one of the targets. You very well could hunt game at the club but you certainly could not shoot any.

Also, if you drive a few miles from the club into downtown DC, you will also see many turkeys.

Pat Ireland

4. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

Bawana - Point Taken. I was thinking the same thing with so many people wanting to hunt public land, that was bound to happen. My friend's farm I used to hunt at is no longer practical as it is in MD and non-resident license is too pricey (I'd rather spend that extra money at the Trap range). However, do you know of any private hunt clubs active in my area (Northern VA)? How do I go about finding out?

Pat - LOL. I work in DC for some of these Turkeys and I know exactly what you mean.

Thanks
    Rohit

5. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Go to your gun club and start to know other members. Ask around there and see if they know of any place and or get invited to some of their hunts. That would be the safest way.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Geese and mallards just an hour or so North on Maryland's Eastern shore. Chestertown is a good area to start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

northern va public hunting

public hunting in northern va