1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Public Boat Launches C'mon People Really?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack Frost, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

O/T Public Boat Launches C

As the story goes: Guy buys a boat to take his lady friend for an outing. Guy has never owned a boat and has very little experience with the procedures involved in boating primarily launching the boat. The guy along with his lady friend set out for a day on the water. Upon arriving at the public boat launch the guy soon realizes there is no one around to answer questions. Not to look like a fool in front of his lady friend, the guy proceeds to drive down the launch ramp. Getting the trailer deep enough in the water to launch the boat can be difficult for people as this guy soon learns. I think the picture tells the story quite well.

J.F.

[​IMG]

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

He is driving a Ford after all!

ss

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I thought you were going to tell the story about the fellow who couldn't get his boat to perform because he still had the trailer strapped under the boat.

4. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

well matter of fact I think Bill Dance may have tried that once. I was watching some of his out takes and seen that done. Being cool, Bill drove the boat with the trailer strapped under back up the ramp where the crew got the tongue back on the coupler.

J.F.

5. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

something is FISHY about that picture

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

My wife and I were really efficent unloading and loading our boat. My trailer was seldom in the water over 3 minutes. Many boaters are pretty good if they keep the equipment in good shape and think ahead. Some of the funniest things we have ever enjoyed is 20 or 30 minutes watching people at the ramp. It never fails, there is always a couple of clueless people that get in trouble fast. We have seen dozens of people get their tow vehicle too deep in the water. I have to admit, this is the first I time I have seen a drowned car when the boat was still out of the water.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I went one evening after work,by myself, backed the boat in, set the hand brake on my dodge diesel dually and jumped in the boat to back it off the trailer..just like I had done many times before, as soon as I got my 200hp johnson fired up the hand brake let go and my truck started backwards off into the water, I jumped out of the boat ran up the floating dock and jumped in and stopped my truck, the water was up to the rear glass... also.. while the truck was rolling backwards the drivers door which i luckly left open hung the dock and was bent all the way back to where it touched the front fender... that was about $1000 to get fixed.. I went ahead and went fishing, had to use a bungy strap to keep the door shut on the way home..

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

We watched an experienced lady head down a ramp with her boat and trailer on the Sacramento River near Pittsburg, CA. She backed down to the point that she was needed at the trailer to do the actual launch when a friend came up and started a conversation. Well, the boat owner hadn't put the drain plug in the stern and it soon began to sink at the stern. This operation caused the bow of the boat and trailer to raise at the front, lift the weight off the car's rear tires and the whole mess went in the River; passenger car, trailer, and strapped down boat as well. Imagine the 911 call - or was that before such a thing.....Bob Dodd

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

I live just across the bay from a busy boat launch ramp on Barkley lake. It is a rare occasion when I am on the water on weekends or holidays. It is much more fun to sit on my dock with some liquid refreshment and a pair of binoculars and watch the idiots launch their boats.

Even more fun to watch in the late afternoon when they come back in-----DRUNK! Almost all of them leave bleeding from some body part.

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I used to launch my 25' CC by backing down the ramp and hitting the brakes at just the right time. The boat would slide right off the trailer and into the water. Yes there was a 75' rope tied to the boat and the trailer so the boat didn't float away. OTOH there was that one time when I forgot to lock in the stern drain plug but that's a story for another time.

Eric

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<I>"I used to launch my 25' CC by backing down the ramp and hitting the brakes at just the right time."</I>

This is what happens when your timing is off...<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

12. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

wow that's a doozie!

J.F.

13. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I'am not a boater, but is that what there mean when they say the boat is in dry dock?

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I watched a guy with a brand new 27Ft.Off Shore backing his boat in, then he stopped and took the cable off of the Boat and headed back for his truck ... The boat was sitting on a roller trailer and it ended up on the launch ramp just like the one in that picture, his wife stood there holding the rope he had tied to the boat so it wouldn't get away ... The only thing that was keeping it from rolling off of the trailer after he took off the transom straps was that cable that he disconnected from the boat and the second he put the truck in gear and jarred it the boat took off ... You have to love watching these people, its funnier than the shows on the television ... I tried to yell at him but he never looked back ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Uh, I didn't know how to back up the trailer. So I went forward."

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If you really want to enjoy a Saturday morning to the fullest, go down the to local boat ramp about 10:00 am and set up with a picnic basket (it takes the rookies that long to get ready) and enjoy the view for the next 2 hours or so. Do this at the begining of boating season (for best effect) which is almost upon us. I'll bet you will laugh harder than you ever have or will!!! The accidents and mishaps I've seen would fill a book. Some I'll never forget. Thats what happens down here in S Fla. where fishing is the #l sport of men!!! That reminds me the spring run is almost here, gotta go. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

boat ramp right at trap shooters