1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

O/T Propane or Electric Meat Smoker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JPK1957, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPK1957

JPK1957 TS Member

Anybody tried one?? LPG or Electric?? Thanks, John

2. JPK1957

JPK1957 TS Member

Just gonna do Beef, Pork & ribs and maybe a turkey. Been using a charcoal, but it's a hassel to add coals all the time.

3. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

I have a electric Smoker and love it. Jess

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Have both and prefer the electric

5. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Propane for me, easier to adjust the heat. BRGII

6. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

If you decide on a electric consider a Cookshack Smokette. These well built smokers are insulated and double walled. Go to the Cookshack web site. You can order from them or go to Cabela's. Price over $400.00.

Fact about smoking you will never get that real desired smoked flavor using a electric or gas smoker. Why? one reason your smoldering your wood and creating a white smoke that isn't all that desirable. You want a blue to clear smoke. To get that you need some fire.

If money is no object get a Stumps Gravity feed. Go to the Stumps Smokers web site and Check these out. These are a set it and forget it smoker. They run on lump charcoal. I fired mine up Friday before I left for work. Set the temp at 225. Came back at 11 o clock Put on 3 racks of spare ribs went back to work. Got home at 5 o clock mopped all three racks wrapped them in tin foil. Let the smoker get back to 225 then i cut the air and power off. I just let them render for about another hour till some friends showed up. These ribs were as good as you could get and were so easy to make any one can do it. I have run as long as 15 hours with out adding more lump or doing any adjustments.

I just gave away a off set stick burner smoker and a electric smoker. And might sell my Cookshack as i no longer use it.

7. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Electric is the easiest, and to hook up and is always avalable. Are you building one or buying one. We build a gas one using old oven controls that worked great 100cu.ft. He had a gas well on his property so gas was the right price. Gas usaly has a higher start up cost and may require more work. Use what ever your the most comfortable with.Good luck

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, I bought the electric smoker over 6-7 years ago to smoke mostly fish, and have used to smoke same meats as you want to smoke. I love mine, and bought it at home depot for about $60. It comes apart in pieces and is very easy to clean in the grass(spray pam inside tube). It is the red round tube looking type. Simple to use as there are no controls to adjust the temp. It has served me well with no problems. Use apple wood for fish and hickory for most meat. Soak all wood totally under water for at least 24 hours before smoking.I say go for it. Break-me all. Jeff

9. ink ball

ink ball Member

I have both...I use the electric for making jerky, and the propane for everything else. Your preference might be dictated on where you live. If you plan to use it in winter and live in a northern climate, you might find that the electric doesn't generate enough heat when it is 20 degrees outside. If you really like a smokey flavor, you might find that you would be better off wtih propane. My observation is that you can generate a lot more smoke with the propane smoker than the electric.

10. missed some

missed some TS Member

I love my treagor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

propane smoker forum